g4 startup troubles

OP
C

chadfrey

I just went thru this problem this morning on one of our G4s. All I did to fix the problem was to unplug the network and all periferal cables (printer, USB card reader, scanners) and wait. The OS finally loaded, and when I checked the starup disk options, it had a network drive selected for some unknown reason. After picking the correct drive, the machine has been working fine. I will be doing some other testing later (norton, disk warrior, and anything else i can throw at it).

Not sure if this info helps you all out or not, but its worth a shot.

CF

OP
J

jonners

I have the same problem as above.

MacAddikt said:
try booting from your OS X install CD. if you cant get your cd tray open, hold down your mouse button when starting up, then restart and hold down C.

under the Installer menu, choose Open Disk Utility, then under the First Aid tab, choose verify disk, then repair permissions.

quit Disk Utility, quit installer and it will restart

I'm running a G4 Powerbook, and I put it to sleep, then 10 minutes later, i opened the lid, and the screen had frozen. To reboot, I then held down the power button and when it restarted I just have this question mark over a folder icon. I then zapped the pram, and tried restarting several times.

So, I put in the OSX10 install disk, and open disk utility, but It doesn't see the HD, therefore it doesn't in the installer window either.

I just don't know what to do next.

I may take it into an Apple store somewhere.......

What can you suggest? Thanks.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
jonners said:
I'm running a G4 Powerbook, and I put it to sleep, then 10 minutes later, i opened the lid, and the screen had frozen. To reboot, I then held down the power button and when it restarted I just have this question mark over a folder icon. I then zapped the pram, and tried restarting several times.

So, I put in the OSX10 install disk, and open disk utility, but It doesn't see the HD, therefore it doesn't in the installer window either.

I just don't know what to do next.

I may take it into an Apple store somewhere.......

What can you suggest? Thanks.

Sounds like you lost your system disk. Since you were not able to see your interanl disk drive with the disk utility from the install CD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
seems system cant find the hard disk, My guess is your problem lies in hardware. open up your mac and check the conection to HD. if you are not sure how to do it, take it to the shop

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.