G4 Power Mac - can HD be partitioned to run Classic AND Leopard?

Reaction score
I know I can run Classic and up to OSX Tiger on the same partition. What if I created a small partition for Classic and a bigger partition for Leopard? (on same dtive)

I tried this and got nowhere. Is this not possible? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well it does depend on the model of your G4, and you do not supply details. Later MDD FW800 models were supposedly unable to boot from Classic (OS9). If it is a model that handles Classic, that would be a good way of running both systems. Do not forget when formatting to select install OS 9 drivers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
Mac OS 9 can be installed on the same drive as Mac OS X. They share no resources at all. It is true, though. Your disk must have Mac OS 9 drivers installed or it's a no-go. Unless it's running in X's Classic mode, it won't be able to see the drive or partition.

OP
J
Reaction score
It might be something else then. It's a Quicksilver 733 upgraded, I then tried a G4 dual 500 and still have some issues. I'll keep trying. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Next question are the disc/s you are trying to install from full retail install discs, and NOT silver grey discs which are system restore discs and very much restricted to the precise model; the discs came with when new?

OP
J
Reaction score
Leopard is a full retail. Classic -- what do the full retail look like (color)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also... are you installing Mac OS 9, or Classic? Classic installs just like a Mac OS X program, and is simply the support files needed to run the Classic environment.

Mac OS 9 will require you reboot into 9 and run the installer from there.

Full retail copies of Mac OS 9 have a large orange 9 on them. Machine specific versions were not necessarily gray, but were also printed in solid colors at times, like bright orange for first-run iBooks, bondi blue for early iMacs, and I think the fruit iMacs had installer media and manuals that matched their colors. By 2001 or so, though, all included discs were gray.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hmm, I guess I am getting confused then. I would say I was trying to install OS 9 on a separate partition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You have to have a 9.2.1 disc to make this work at all. A 9.1 or 9.0.4 disc will just give you an error at boot. Fortunately, Mac OS 9 discs are forgiving and won't blow up if you use them on different models. The way the OS was designed, they were much more interchangable so if you get a 9.2.2 disc, even a gray one, it'll run on your G4. I have to install 9.2.2 on my Sawtooth G4 from the disc that came with a 600MHz iBook and it's flawless.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.