G4; How do I get this computer working?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I was given 3 unopened boxes once from a company that was clearing out old stuff and one was 10.2 Jaguar and the other 2 were 10.1 with a 9.2.1 CD also. Brand new unopened and for free!

Are you saying the computers were "brand new never opened boxes"...as in this company bought a bunch of new Macintosh computers at one point...and these 3 just sat somewhere never opened...and then you got them free??

If so...wow...one heck of a deal that you don't come across very often!!!

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Like I said in my other post, that is a Sawtooth G4 450 Mhz. It has 4 memory slots. Each will accept up to 512Megs RAM. The RAM has to be PC100 or PC133 and if PC133 be sure it's Low Density as High Density modules will not work in any older Mac. It will take 4 512Meg PC100 modules for 2GB RAM.

Just for the sake of information, the 867Mhz G4 BTW only has 3 slots and each will still only take a 512Meg module for 1.5GB.

Yeah...this was always a sort of oddity in the G4 desktop line up...how the older G4's could hold more ram than some newer G4s.

I seem to remember reading that it had something to with a redesign of the motherboard...and for space limitations...Apple went from 4 ram slots to 3.

I have an example of both computers (4 ram slots & 3 ram slots) in my little "Mac Museum"!

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
I might "sell" these computers for the shipping.

As in, free computer, just pay shipping.

I want to get rid of them but I can't bring myself to throw them in to a garbage can.

Oh and the Mac pro's cost too much.
One, configured the way I would like it, would be pushing 18k

:D :Angry-Tongue: O:)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

As in, free computer, just pay shipping.

I want to get rid of them but I can't bring myself to throw them in to a garbage can.

Oh and the Mac pro's cost too much.
One, configured the way I would like it, would be pushing 18k

Well that would be a shame to just give away the G4 desktops...after you paid $50 for them.

I agree with you that if you have a "Mac Mini" budget...that a Mac Pro would be too expensive!

But at the same time...you can't talk about a Mac Mini with a "Huge Processor"...it just doesn't make sense!

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Well that would be a shame to just give away the G4 desktops...after you paid $50 for them.

I agree with you that if you have a "Mac Mini" budget...that a Mac Pro would be too expensive!

But at the same time...you can't talk about a Mac Mini with a "Huge Processor"...it just doesn't make sense!

- Nick

Yeah, but I'm talking relative size. 'Huge' for the Mac mini. Not huge in comparison to the 24" iMac's 3.06GHz or the Mac Pro's Two 2.93GHz Quad-Core, for example.

:)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, but I'm talking relative size. 'Huge' for the Mac mini. Not huge in comparison to the 24" iMac's 3.06GHz or the Mac Pro's Two 2.93GHz Quad-Core, for example.

:)

Using the term "Huge" in the same sentence as a Mac Mini...is like a 10 year-old talking "Huge" about his bicycle to an adult driving a Corvette!

It just doesn't make any sense to talk "Huge Processor" when you're talking about a Mac Mini!!!

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Using the term "Huge" in the same sentence as a Mac Mini...is like a 10 year-old talking "Huge" about his bicycle to an adult driving a Corvette!

It just doesn't make any sense to talk "Huge Processor" when you're talking about a Mac Mini!!!

- Nick

:Angry-Tongue: ;D

Reaction score

Wow dude don't dump these machines. Someone would like to use them. I'm
posting on a Powermac 8600{G3} right now. These old Macs still work. If you look around you can find the stuff to fix them cheap. Mac minis are cute but your better off with a tower.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.