G4-grey screen no spinning thing- can open in firmware

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" G4- Mac OS x 10.5; Macbook 13" Mac OS X 10.5
I haven't turned on this computer for a week to two weeks. It's a g4 imac.
I was working fine last time it was on. This is a hand me down so I dont even know what OS its using, but im pretty sure its leopard.

I just set it up and it wont boot. The grey screen comes up, but the little spinning thing isnt there. It chimes and the apple comes up. I hear the fan. I umplugged the speakers, but it still wont turn on. I reset the PRAM and it chimed twice but still went back to the grey screen with no spinner.

Before I open this bad boy up and try resetting the PMU, is there anything I can try in firmware? I can open firmware. The previous owner may have deleted a kernel or something when they were cleaning it before giving it to me.

Thanks in advance for you help. As I said, I'm not exactly sure of the specs so I dont know if i can provide any more info until I hear back from the previous owner. Let me know what questions to ask that may be helpful.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Before messing with it anymore, it's probably best to wait until the previous owner contacts you so you can find out exactly what he did. He may have left you with no operating system or possibly removed the hard drive??? One thing you can do, however, is if he left you with the original install media, try booting with it.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.