G3 as a music player with remote control

Reaction score
I have a dream O:)

I have an old Sony stereo which is busted. The only thing that works is the audio in and that's what I use for listening music on my PC. The speakers are really good (170W each in a wooden case) and it'd be a shame not to use them. I was thinking of getting a G3 iMac and installing Tiger on it so I could use FrontRow with the remote which came with my macbook (since i can't use OS 9 because of the remote).

Since it would be used only as a music player, the only applications I need are iTunes and Front Row, so how much RAM do you think I should need? Also a hard disk of 30 GB seems to me to be enough.

How fast a processor do I need just for MP3 playback? Would the original 233 MHz be enough?

What obstacles do you see in this project?

I see one which may or may not be an actual obstacle. I don't plan on using a keyboard or a mouse. How do I eject CDs? Is there a button to push or must I use a keyboard or a mouse?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
There is no way to use the remote with the iMac G3. You would also need at least a mouse to operate the disc drive.
Also, Front Row is not part of Tiger and would likely not even install on an iMac G3 233Mhz.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
You will need at least a 400MHz machine for 10.4 because you need firewire ports according to the minimum requirements.
You would need a keyboard and mouse I would think.
For a remote you could buy a Bluetooth dongle and a Bluetooth remote to control iTunes.
I had a 400MHz hooked up to my home theatre and sounded pretty good.
-Peace

btw, the original mac remote wouldn't work and there are so hacks to get front row on older macs but it doesn't run natively unless you have a never computer.

OP
B
Reaction score
why doesn't the remote work with iMac G3? no InfraRed or...

what about these bluetooth remotes?

shame, I really like Front Row

ah well, another dream down the drain...:Angry:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.