Fusion or 768GB SSD?

Reaction score
Hi Guys
Doing a serious browse in our new Apple store today,
I've been without a computer for months and have been processing my wife's PC which is nearly dead, my laptop has been dead for months

My budget would get me into a maxed out 27" iMac with 1 TB Fusion at the end of June
I would like the above but with the 768GB SSD but budget would be looking at maybe September

I've done a bit of googling on both but my lack of technical knowledge has made it hard to decide,
Cost is obviously a factor but if I have a lot more to gain by waiting 3-4 months, I would be prepared to wait
Main use is serious editing of images, I'm shooting with a 12mp D700 and those files get big, especially if I have to convert them to tiff files, I hope to add a Nikon D800 next year and each image file is about 100MB and I guess they could be 3 times that amount

I don't know which drive would be the most reliable either?
And, if I jump into the 1 TB Fusion, can I upgrade to a SSD at a later date?
Lastly,
If I say, jump into a 3TB Fusion, will it be any faster than the 1TB Fusion?

Regards,
Gary

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
My opinion FWIW is to purchase separately a 2 to 4TB USB 3.0 external HD for your digital media files. I currently use 3 external HDs for my photos, one for in process, second for archived and third is TM backup.

Especially if you end up with the D800 down the line, unless you go with a MacPro and stuff it with HDs there is no way you will keep up with space.

As far as the base drive choice for your iMac, I will leave that to others, as I have no experience with Fusion Drive.

OP
GLXMAN
Reaction score
My opinion FWIW is to purchase separately a 2 to 4TB USB 3.0 external HD for your digital media files. I currently use 3 external HDs for my photos, one for in process, second for archived and third is TM backup.

Especially if you end up with the D800 down the line, unless you go with a MacPro and stuff it with HDs there is no way you will keep up with space.

As far as the base drive choice for your iMac, I will leave that to others, as I have no experience with Fusion Drive.
I totally agree, I will definitely store my files on portable drives unfortunately they are Fat32 (I think?) and it appears I can only transfer 4GB at a time?
Yes! I have a lot of sorting out ahead of me, about 8TB I guess so have to get a Apple formatted drive as well
I'm guessing that once I empty one drive, I can re-format it to the Apple format and then put the files back

One of the tasks would be transferring 16GB of files from a CF card to a folder then sorting them out, I'm going to give Aperture a go actually,

Regards,
Gary

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My budget would get me into a maxed out 27" iMac with 1 TB Fusion at the end of June
I would like the above but with the 768GB SSD but budget would be looking at maybe September

As I'm sure you know...there's quite a LARGE difference in price between a 1 terabyte fusion HD...and a 768gig SSD!!!;)

For the $900 upgrade price for that 768gig SSD...you could almost buy another brand new computer!

What I'm trying to say is...deciding between a 1 terabyte fusion HD and a 768gig SSD...is not exactly an Apple's to Apple's comparison (totally different ballparks).

It's sort of iike saying..."Mac-Mini or Mac Pro". Big Big difference.:)

- Nick

OP
GLXMAN
Reaction score
Thank you Nick,
Starting to get a handle on things now, (I think ;D)
If budget improves, I'll go the 768GB SSD, if not, will try and pony-up for the 512GB SSD
Regards,
Gary

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If budget improves, I'll go the 768GB SSD, if not, will try and pony-up for the 512GB SSD

As I'm sure you know...SSD's are very expensive. Price/gig for traditional HD's and SSD's are vastly different. Sure...SSD's are very fast...but you certainly pay for that speed.

For example. If you purchase a $1799 27" iMac...and pay $900 EXTRA for a 768gig SSD...that SSD is a very large percentage up-charge compared to the original $1799 purchase price.

For $900 dollars...at $59 each...you could buy fifteen 1 terabyte traditional HD's (15 terabytes total storage).

Western Digital WD Green WD10EZRX 1TB IntelliPower SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Newegg.com

I'm not trying to tell you how to spend your money.;) But if you have the budget to pay for the computer...but have to save more money in order to get the 768gig SSD...I'm thinking you may be stretching your budget.

I would also mention that very very few folks (at this point) have a 768gig SSD. And those that do...have "deep pockets". Do you have "deep pockets"??

Large capacity SSD's are the sort of technology that is primed to see large reductions in cost as they become more popular & less expensive to produce. This time next year...a 768gig SSD could be MUCH less expensive...and in 2 years...who knows. What costs $900 now...may cost far less in the near future.

If you REALLY need it now...then get it! But if not...but really want an SSD...get something smaller.:)

Just something to think about. Good luck!:)

- Nick

OP
GLXMAN
Reaction score
Hi Nick

I,m not taking you with me with me when I buy my next camera, your too practical! ;D
Yes, pretty much settled on SSD,
I'm pretty sure 512GB SSD will do the job
Regards,
Gary

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I,m not taking you with me with me when I buy my next camera, your too practical! ;D

Hey...I didn't even give you the full "treatment". I will never buy a brand new computer again...there's just too much depreciation in the first 1-2 years. I would recommend the same to others (I haven't purchased a new computer in almost 20 years).

If you know what to look for...buying used is not as risky as some folks think. Folks buy used automobiles all the time...and there's a lot more that can be wrong with them!!!;) Been working on my own cars (used) for over 30 years.

But...if someone has no problems with losing a substantial amount of the purchase price of a new computer in the first 1-2 due to depreciation...then no problems...buy new!:) Buying new is also very expensive if someone upgrades every 1-2 years as well.

- Nick

OP
GLXMAN
Reaction score
Hi Nicko

I hope to get a lot of years out of this one,
My PCs were only good for 3 years max although I did ask too much from them
.........Gary

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My MacBook Pro is six years old and still doing well, though I am beginning to lust for a new one. ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My MacBook Pro is six years old and still doing well, though I am beginning to lust for a new one. ;)

I think that buying brand new works out much better if you end up hanging onto it (using it) for a long time. It's when folks upgrade every 1-2 years...is when computer ownership can get really expensive (depreciation losses)!

6 years is a pretty good span to get out of a computer (especially if it's your "main" computer). I have a 2008 MacBook that's still going strong for me (internet, e-mail, some gaming). It's not my best computer...but it's still doing pretty good.

I'd say your due for a newer computer...and you could still use that 6 year-old MBP as your backup/portable.:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I like to keep my Macs one year beyond the expiration of Apple Care, 4 years. But I'm real stingy with my cars. Still driving a 98 Mustang!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I think that buying brand new works out much better if you end up hanging onto it (using it) for a long time. It's when folks upgrade every 1-2 years...is when computer ownership can get really expensive (depreciation losses)!

6 years is a pretty good span to get out of a computer (especially if it's your "main" computer). I have a 2008 MacBook that's still going strong for me (internet, e-mail, some gaming). It's not my best computer...but it's still doing pretty good.

I'd say your due for a newer computer...and you could still use that 6 year-old MBP as your backup/portable.:)

- Nick

I still have my MB from 2008 as well. I gave it to my Mum. She uses it all the time to watch her Korean dramas. >_>" I would get her an iPad but not sure if those websites would allow her to watch it on iOS.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.