• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Fury at Apple's 'rip-off' plan to make ALL iPhone accessories obsolete by changing de

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I neither need to live with it nor do I need to buy it.

Well said. That perfectly sums up why no one should be the slightest bit bothered about the change.

Reaction score
As cwa107 said in an earlier post, maybe some third party manufacturer will make an adapter from 30 pin to 19 for people who have tons of things they want to use with their new 19 pin iGadget. I for one will hope for such a thing. But if it makes the new device faster and better I am all for the change!

Reaction score
no but when it's time to get a new phone 5years worth of stuff will be useless

It's a good thing you weren't driving in the US in 1973 when gas switched from leaded to unleaded. You'd probably still be sitting at home...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
As cwa107 said in an earlier post, maybe some third party manufacturer will make an adapter from 30 pin to 19 for people who have tons of things they want to use with their new 19 pin iGadget. I for one will hope for such a thing. But if it makes the new device faster and better I am all for the change!

This will be a most definite. I reckon OWC are working on one as we sleep :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Valid reasons:
1. use up less space in the device
2. add additional features
3. make the connector less susceptible to damage
4. regain control over the accessories market

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
All I can say is thank god it's not microUSB.

Reaction score
Valid reasons:
1. use up less space in the device
2. add additional features
3. make the connector less susceptible to damage
4. regain control over the accessories market

IS the device too big? All I hear is the screen is too small. The 19 pin doesn't look thinner if thats the direction they're going.

The only added feature of the 19 pin is well it's 19 pins.

The damage to connectors seems to only effect certain people I have yet to damage mine.

This is the reason...

So there is no valid reason to change the dock connector..

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
All I can say is thank god it's not microUSB.

Ooo-errr... isn't HDMI v1.4b 19 pin? It's also smaller, about the same size.

I wonder if that's where Apple are heading?

Reaction score
There was lead substitute, and a valid reason to do it.

And how much do you know about the reasons that Apple might be changing? I'm sure they have reasons that THEY consider valid as well.
mathews_dontknow.gif

Personally, I'd welcome a smaller form factor, and if they can create a connector that offers more flexibility after 10 years, I'm all for it.
mathews_thumbsup.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
So there is no valid reason to change the dock connector..

as the new iPhone isn't far away maybe bigger speakers and and microphone is one i can think of and the possibility of more room inside the iPhone casing to fit additional things/stuff. Or the new iPhone that isn't out yet could be revamped, thinner as a possibility ??

lets think forward instead of thinking now.
Thats so yesterday :)

Reaction score
And how much do you know about the reasons that Apple might be changing? I'm sure they have reasons that THEY consider valid as well.
mathews_dontknow.gif

Personally, I'd welcome a smaller form factor, and if they can create a connector that offers more flexibility after 10 years, I'm all for it.
mathews_thumbsup.gif

Ok burning lead because it's truly bad for the enviroment is a valid reason..

Smaller connector to maintain control NOT valid.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Ok burning lead because it's truly bad for the enviroment is a valid reason..

Smaller connector to maintain control NOT valid.

This is getting to the point where it's almost pedantic. Times change, standards and form factors change - it's inevitable.

The 30-pin connector form factor has had a good, long run - and I'm quite certain that if Apple didn't have to change it (and remember, this is still a rumored change), then I'm sure they didn't make the choice arbitrarily.

I think we just need to wait and see what happens before we get too worked up.

C

chas_m

I'm with cwa107 -- this is a classic example of what they call on Twitter #firstworldproblems (aka privileged whining).

EVEN if the story is completely accurate (which we have no way of knowing)

1. Your existing accessories will not stop working with your present equipment. As for the new iPhone (again assuming the new connector rumour is true) -- adapters, ever hear of them?

2. The whole thing about "regain control" is nonsense. Apple never lost control of this market -- all LEGITIMATE companies that make iOS accessories *have* a license from Apple. That's how they get to put that "made for iPad" or whatever logo on their product! Hands up anyone who seriously believes the same companies won't get a license to make the new thing -- or adapters from the old to the new. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

3. Those searching for "valid" reasons will of course reject actual facts and valid reasons and such because they have already made up their minds (on a vapourware product that may not happen, no less) that it's a conspiracy, maaaan!

Insert your favourite aphorism about where a closed mind gets you here, BUT I do seem to recall that the European Union mandated that all cellphones be able to be charged and sync'd via microUSB some time back -- is it just coincidence that the design may be changing right about the time that rule is enforced, or do we have (ta da!) a VALID REASON for the change that you can't blame on Apple (much as I know you will anyway)?

Apple intros microUSB connector for iPhones | Electronista

Reaction score
I'm with cwa107 -- this is a classic example of what they call on Twitter #firstworldproblems (aka privileged whining).

EVEN if the story is completely accurate (which we have no way of knowing)

1. Your existing accessories will not stop working with your present equipment. As for the new iPhone (again assuming the new connector rumour is true) -- adapters, ever hear of them?

2. The whole thing about "regain control" is nonsense. Apple never lost control of this market -- all LEGITIMATE companies that make iOS accessories *have* a license from Apple. That's how they get to put that "made for iPad" or whatever logo on their product! Hands up anyone who seriously believes the same companies won't get a license to make the new thing -- or adapters from the old to the new. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

3. Those searching for "valid" reasons will of course reject actual facts and valid reasons and such because they have already made up their minds (on a vapourware product that may not happen, no less) that it's a conspiracy, maaaan!

Insert your favourite aphorism about where a closed mind gets you here, BUT I do seem to recall that the European Union mandated that all cellphones be able to be charged and sync'd via microUSB some time back -- is it just coincidence that the design may be changing right about the time that rule is enforced, or do we have (ta da!) a VALID REASON for the change that you can't blame on Apple (much as I know you will anyway)?
Apple intros microUSB connector for iPhones | Electronista

The dongle is available..

Things do change, why do we have mini and micro USB because regular USB is too big for smaller form factors..Why USB because parallel ports and serial ports had reached their limitations..Is the iphone getting smaller even though its getting a bigger screen supposedly? The increase in screen size should be enough to allow more battery.

rMBP has no optical drive why because it has a big f'ing battery. They offer the old version for those that care very little and need an optical. The benefits are two fold, they get to see if the screens can be manufactured in the quantity necessary while maintaining quality. They needn't commit the entire line if it doesn't work out so well. The second is it signals to consumers the change if you want an Apple notebook you need to start reevaluating your need/desire for optical drives. The same can be done here if it changes include a dongle to convert just like the micro USB that exists now no need to pitch you $3000 Bang and Olufsen or $1000 Bose.

C

chas_m

It's funny how some people get their knickers in a twist over stuff like this, when it's happened many, many, many, many times before. Easy to surprise people with short memories, I guess ...

Or did your Powerbook (Wallstreet) charger work with your iBook G3? And did the iBook chargers (multiple) work with the MacBooks? And does your iPod 30-pin charger charge your 30-pin iPad?

Hilarious.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It's funny how some people get their knickers in a twist over stuff like this, when it's happened many, many, many, many times before. Easy to surprise people with short memories, I guess ...

Or did your Powerbook (Wallstreet) charger work with your iBook G3? And did the iBook chargers (multiple) work with the MacBooks? And does your iPod 30-pin charger charge your 30-pin iPad?

Hilarious.

Agreed. Or why does not my old iPhone 3g charger not charge my iPad all the way? :D Grin

I want a refund! hahahahhaha :D

I thought of a better one, why does the Power adapter from my Powerbook 170 (1st line of powerbooks many many years ago) not work with my new Retina Macbook Pro? I want my $$$ back! Apple owes me compatibility! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Did you know that most issues of Daily Mail become obsolete after only one day, requiring customers to go out and purchase another one?

Of course, this might be only a rumour :Smirk:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.