fstab missing in MacOS Ventura

Reaction score
Hi,

I needed to get and modify the content of /etc/fstab, or /private/etc/fstab, but the file is not even there...

This is the best detailed discussion I found online after a quick search, but this file just doesn't exist for me: How to configure "DiskImageMounter" like in /etc/fstab?

Plus, using the command "sudo vifs" I get into the /etc/fstab, but I see only comments, I mean, it's like a script tha pre-loads some comment but the file doesn't open in edit mode, it's just pre-loaded in that way, then if I save it I assume that it will be used...
I can see the mount points with "sudo mount", but it doesn't help my troubleshooting.

I was able to modify one mount point name/path from Finder and it made a permanent change actually, but I wanted to get to the bottom of this in case I need to do it manually, and it's crucial in my case.

Platform: Macbook Air M1 | MacOS Ventura 13.2

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.