• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Frustrating Experience with AT&T

Reaction score
So yesterday I went to AT&T's website to trade in my iPone X for the new iPhone SE. First of all, their website is really buggy and poorly designed, but that's another matter. I finally get my order placed. During the order process I was TWICE sent a verification code to "let's make sure it's you." Well, this afternoon they send me an email to say they cancelled my order because they couldn't verify it was me. Are you freaking kidding me? So then I end up wasting an hour and a half on the phone with them (mostly on hold) when I needed to be working on something else. The two CSRs I had to speak to were very professional and polite, but man, what a fiasco for a simple order! They said it was likely because my shipping address was different than my billing address. Well, then why let me modify the shipping address or allow me to place the order in the first place? I've done this twice before in the past with no issue. I work full time, so I can't receive the order at home since it requires a signature.

Yes, I know this is a 'first world problem," but it just goes to show you the importance of making things easy and transparent for the customer. They REALLY need to work on their customer web experience. But again, their customer service reps were great, so I'll give them that!

P.S. Excited about the new SE! Got the black/256GB. As much as I love the iPhone X/11 style, I still prefer the form factor of the SE and also prefer TouchID to FaceID.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sorry to hear about the frustrating experience with AT&T.:(

Were you going with AT&T for a terrific deal opportunity that couldn't be found anywhere else?

If not...wisdom these days is to purchase an unlocked phone...then go with any carrier you wish. Which could very well still be AT&T...but then all you need to get is a SIM card & open an AT&T account. Or if you're already with AT&T...then just swap the SIM card from the old phone to the new phone.:)

- Nick

p.s. I do feel your pain. I could share with everyone my horror story experience with Apple...trying to get an Apple Card. But I won't!!! Lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I'm glad you had this "problem". Let me explain.

AT&T and Tmobile were hit HARD in the past couple of years with fraudsters! They were getting access to accounts, and would specifically look for plans that had "upgrade eligible" lines where they would order new phones to the fraudsters temporary address. They would get the phones, and you would get the bill. This all happened because they didn't have strict policies against fraud and making sure account changes and purchases were approved by the account holder.

How do I know?

Because it happened to me, and it took close to a WHOLE YEAR to resolve in 2018.
That incident forced me to cancel my cards, put everything under fraud alert, MANY police calls and reports in different states, MANY late midnight calls from fraud alerts, and had to get rid of phone numbers that my family had for almost 20 years(I can still barely remember my new number!!).

Trust me. You had it easy. Even though I cut ties with AT&T, they were covering your back!
If they didn't and a fraudster was the person that bought those phones on your account, you would be FURIOUS at AT&T for allowing someone with a different address to order them.

OP
usagora
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the frustrating experience with AT&T.:(

Were you going with AT&T for a terrific deal opportunity that couldn't be found anywhere else?

If not...wisdom these days is to purchase an unlocked phone...then go with any carrier you wish. Which could very well still be AT&T...but then all you need to get is a SIM card & open an AT&T account. Or if you're already with AT&T...then just swap the SIM card from the old phone to the new phone.:)

- Nick

p.s. I do feel your pain. I could share with everyone my horror story experience with Apple...trying to get an Apple Card. But I won't!!! Lol

I've been with AT&T for a long time and don't plan to switch carriers. I also take advantage of their no-interest installment payments

OP
usagora
Reaction score
I'm glad you had this "problem". Let me explain.

AT&T and Tmobile were hit HARD in the past couple of years with fraudsters! They were getting access to accounts, and would specifically look for plans that had "upgrade eligible" lines where they would order new phones to the fraudsters temporary address. They would get the phones, and you would get the bill. This all happened because they didn't have strict policies against fraud and making sure account changes and purchases were approved by the account holder.

How do I know?

Because it happened to me, and it took close to a WHOLE YEAR to resolve in 2018.
That incident forced me to cancel my cards, put everything under fraud alert, MANY police calls and reports in different states, MANY late midnight calls from fraud alerts, and had to get rid of phone numbers that my family had for almost 20 years(I can still barely remember my new number!!).

Trust me. You had it easy. Even though I cut ties with AT&T, they were covering your back!
If they didn't and a fraudster was the person that bought those phones on your account, you would be FURIOUS at AT&T for allowing someone with a different address to order them.

I think you're missing my point. I of course understand that fraud takes place, but that is the whole point behind sending me verification texts to my account line during the ordering process, no? So what the heck was the point of all that if they're just going to turn around and cancel it? And even if they still aren't sure, why not CALL ME to verify before cancelling the order and wasting my time having to start all over?

The issue here is not their intention, but how they handled it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.