Frequent gpu kernel Panics AFTER logicboard replacement

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I come here because Apple's repairer seems to have no solution or doesn't finding the solution properly.

I explain :
I've a 15" Macbook Pro late-2011, a model recognized for graphical switches problems. After 2 years, my computer become crazy (something like crazy funny colors on screen) and finally can't boot.
Apple Care had replace the logicboard for free but one week later, my computer restarts frequently suddenly. Sometimes when it reboot, a message appear. A kernel Panic about GPU but unfortunately this message appear randomly.
I've changes RAM for up RAM to 8GO and after that, the problem appear again. The MacBook has gone to Apple again and the repairer said that's it due to an defected RAM... BUT the problem appeared BEFORE I change RAM. After my Apple visit, I decide to reintroduce the famous defected RAM and the problem appears most frequently than without, it's true... but still appears without.

I know that without the kernel panic message we can't do anything maybe... but I can't copying it because since few days or week it doesn't appear after brutal reboot...

Someone had this problem ?

How can I resolve it ?

Thanks a lot,
Best regards.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), logicboard changed

C

chas_m

Regardless of whatever you've been told, this has nothing to do with RAM.

Get this machine to an Apple Store pronto. The program that may fix this issue for you will be expiring next month.

OP
U
Reaction score
Hi,

Thank for your answer but I've already done this.

The first time, They'd replaced the logicboard and the second time that I'm going to the Apple Store they said that it's a RAM problem and that the new logicboard worked properly.

C

chas_m

But you have told us it doesn't, so ... they were wrong, weren't they?

THUS, you need to get this machine seen under this latest program that began last February and will end this February. Details here:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/15/02...wners.who.have.already.paid.to.repair.issues/

Program page here:

http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

Check your coverage here:

http://macnn.com/rd/328743==https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

If you think the Apple Store won't do it, contact Apple directly. BUT HURRY.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And by repairer do you mean an Apple Resller or an Apple Store? If it was either of these do as chas m suggests and ring Apple Tech Support urgently to get a item number at least. Have a read of this:-

http://www.apple.com/contact/

OP
U
Reaction score
Thank for your answers.

I mean a repairer from Apple Store (excuse me if I'm a bit approximately with my vocabulary, I'm French ;) ).

I'm in the coverage of this post-warranty because due to the Apple repair, I've got a new delay to claim a problem about logic board or GPU. The fact is that the Apple repairer said that isn't a problem with the logic board (working properly with their tests) but a problem with my new twin (but used) 4GO RAM and no others provenance... but still present.

I can (and I will do this on tomorrow) call to Apple and reserve for a Genius Bar appointment again and again...but I used to resolve my computer problems alone. I think Apple sometimes ignore what you say (like when I told that the problem arrived before the RAM changement) and doesn't try to search deep repairs issues. Okay, maybe I say that because last year my HD was locked by FileVault suddenly with an unknown password and Apple said to me that is "hard but we can do that". When my computer came back again It was still blocked by FileVault. Today I decide to unlock it myself and It looks succesful .

Unfortunately my computer was shut down again and the kernel panic message appeared but it has reboot again and... again. The message has not reappeared.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ahh mon ami we will forgive the French anything, particularly the beautiful ladies of Paree. What memory did you install? Crucial or OWC most recommended here, and identical to original specs?

C

chas_m

In one of your posts you said you took out the added/third-party RAM and put back in the original RAM, and that this did not fix anything. That's more than proof enough that the RAM is not the issue here, and I hope you will bring this up with the Apple techs you are dealing with. A lot of people who got the video card issue "repaired" prior to recently were told similar things, such as that a replacement logic board will absolutely fix it (not so) and that any future graphics issues must therefore be caused by something else. It ain't necessarily so, to coin a phrase.

Talk to a different store or Apple directly if you have to, but don't let that February deadline go by without trying.

OP
U
Reaction score
Ahh mon ami we will forgive the French anything, particularly the beautiful ladies of Paree. What memory did you install? Crucial or OWC most recommended here, and identical to original specs?

;D You're right !

The twin 4GO RAM is ADATA brand, 1333MHz like it indicated for this Macbook Pro.

In one of your posts you said you took out the added/third-party RAM and put back in the original RAM, and that this did not fix anything.

A lot of people who got the video card issue "repaired" prior to recently were told similar things, such as that a replacement logic board will absolutely fix it (not so) and that any future graphics issues must therefore be caused by something else. It ain't necessarily so, to coin a phrase.

Not really, when Apple returned my Macbook, they have left one ADATA 4Go Ram. My old 2GoX2 has been donated for my repairing association (named Atelier Soudé, it's like a Repair Café) before my visit. I think i will recover them and bring back my computer with those old RAM to Apple like you said.

OP
U
Reaction score
Hi, fresh news from Apple today.

Apple Care say to me basic things to do ... :
-try to boot with an external OS X
-try safe mod boot

And after that if it's still present :
-clean app
-clean caches
-others things that I forgot (I must phone one more time after try the first tests).

I think It can be a loonnng repair and presaging a lot of communications with Apple Care ... :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.