Fraudulant victim

Reaction score
Everyone thinks they cannot be taken in by fraudsters including myself. I had trouble with my printer. I struggled for two weeks to fix the scanner problem the situation was hopeless. So I contacted Hewlett Packard or so I thought. After quite some time had elapsed the fault was presumably fixed and then I had to pay for the services. Trying out the printer later and you can guess, the problem was still there !! My question how can I ensure that they have not left any software or extraneuos items to enable access to my computer? I have subsequently found that HP Do Not charge for services

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm sure others will chimer in with additional ideas, but for the moment, the first thing that occurs to me is a question: Did you give them remote access to your computer at any time?

It's possible that you were connected with HPO support and they just didn't get the problem solved. If you're concerned that you might have connected to someone other than HP, consider using another device such as your phone or tablet to change passwords -- especially for financial-related sites/information.

OP
A
Reaction score
Many thanks for your answer. Unfortunately I did use a remote system called Any Desk. How can I clear from my computer any debris that shouldn't be there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OP
A
Reaction score
Hi Patrick
I have been in touch with HP after about an hour online they reckon the problem is fixed
The problem still exists. This is a very strange situation after using the scanner for two years it has suddenly developed this fault. I am at aloss to know the cause. Many thanks for your reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The problem still exists. This is a very strange situation after using the scanner for two years it has suddenly developed this fault. I am at aloss to know the cause. Many thanks for your reply.

Why not post your particular scanner problem(s) to the members here and provide some details of the scanner model and Mac version you are using and there's a good chance someone might have a good working solution for you.

- Patrick
=======

OP
A
Reaction score
iMac macOS Monterey v 12.7 Late 2015. Printer details HP Color Laserjet Pro MFP 283 fdw (F3346E)
dop Dec 2019. Up until this date Oct 2023 there was no issue whatsoever. The error message that now appears when trying to access the scanning facility "Feature Unavailable Your printer is either offline or not selected. Please connect to a printer to use this feature" I can print and copy which seems odd. I have been in touch with the genuine HP this time and after a session with them they say I need to wait for the software to load, this has no effect at all. Something is defiantly amiss here. Patrick Thank you once again for attending to my post.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm not sure the following will work but it's worth a try. It works with my older Brother all-in-one printer and the current version of Sonoma.

1. From settings make sure that your printer is "seen" in the printer/scanner section. It probably is since you can print. You may need to delete and re-add the existing driver.
2. Look for Image Captur4e in the Applications folder and launch that.
3. If it sees your printer, click the name/icon and try a scan.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have been in touch with the genuine HP this time and after a session with them they say I need to wait for the software to load, this has no effect at all. Something is defiantly amiss here.

I'm sorry your HP support folks aren't very helpful, but I would say their comments are absolute BS.

I don't know if you have tried it or they have suggested resetting your printer system setup but that is one of the basic things to try when printing or scanning goes Goofy on a Mac, and you can read how to reset it here if you haven't done so already. Even if you already have tried, try again and maybe use some other alternative options if there are any.

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem

If that still doesn't work maybe have a look through some of the hits you could find here:

Good luck, and don't forget to try Sly's suggestions above. You may need a combination of things to get things working properly.

And then there's always the commercial ViewScan that just seems to work like an unstoppable tank with almost any printer/scanner.

- Patrick
=======

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.