Four Months on a Mac after 30 Years on a PC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
About the right click for new tab issue - download FireFox and choose "New pages should be opened in: a new tab" or just use FireFox and "Command + Mouse click" on the link you want as a new tab.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Mighty (?) Mouse

I've had no problems with my Mighty Mouse. Just because it takes some getting used to doesn't mean it's poorly designed. It takes some time getting used to driving stick if you've only ever driven cars with automatic transmission... doesn't necessarily mean the car with standard transmission is poorly designed.

Is there any other mouse on the planet that "takes some getting used to"? The comparison with a stick shift doesn't work because we're talking about entirely different systems - automatic vs. manual control of the gearbox, but all mouses (I believe that's the correct plural :) ) are designed to perform the same tasks and the problem with the MM is that its functionality is not evident in the design, i.e., the left and right button functions are not evident in the smooth surface of the mouse and it is too easy to get the Dashboard popping up or the left button working instead of the right - bad design. I'm far from being the only person to ditch the MM - other discussion lists have many complaints about it. But, of course, Apple knows best and takes no notice of its customers :) The MacFormat magazine runs a series called 'Me and my Mac' - a couple of issues ago, the selected contribution showed a Mac alright, but with a non-Mac keyboard and a non-Mac mouse - should have been called 'Me and my Mac and Logitech ancillaries' :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Is there any other mouse on the planet that "takes some getting used to"? The comparison with a stick shift doesn't work because we're talking about entirely different systems - automatic vs. manual control of the gearbox, but all mouses (I believe that's the correct plural :) ) are designed to perform the same tasks and the problem with the MM is that its functionality is not evident in the design, i.e., the left and right button functions are not evident in the smooth surface of the mouse and it is too easy to get the Dashboard popping up or the left button working instead of the right - bad design. I'm far from being the only person to ditch the MM - other discussion lists have many complaints about it. But, of course, Apple knows best and takes no notice of its customers :) The MacFormat magazine runs a series called 'Me and my Mac' - a couple of issues ago, the selected contribution showed a Mac alright, but with a non-Mac keyboard and a non-Mac mouse - should have been called 'Me and my Mac and Logitech ancillaries' :)

Very well said.

Yet another example of functionality following form with Apple products. Ergonomics being that key functionality. A good mouse should fall easily in hand, and not require a manual to understand how to use. It should be durable, since it will encounter all of the nastiness we humans tend to carry. The MM fails on all of these counts. If the MM was a Microsoft product, I'd dare say that it would be the Zune of pointing devices. :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
CWA, the Zune works, works fine. Just does not work with Macs so I have no use for it, but it does work! :D

The MM works ----- Sometimes.....! :D

When the MM does decide to work I have no issues using it, but I need something I can depend on to always work!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I think any device takes some getting used to if it's different from what you've previously used. Mice didn't always have a center scroll wheel, but when they became more standard, people who might not have used them before had to get used to it. The MM takes even more getting used to because not only does its scroll wheel go left and right in addition to up and down, it also has side buttons. At first, I kept getting the wrong click until I trained my fingers to move differently. I never have that problem now.

Of course, the MM isn't for everyone, but a lot of people, like me, have had no issues with getting used to using it. I can see why some people would have a lot of issues with it, but I don't think it's necessarily a matter of poor design. Maybe more accurate to say that there are limits to the design, and Apple should make mice of other designs available.

If someone had used the old single-button Apple mouse only, they might have faulted the design of a two-button mouse for being too confusing or unintuitive. I can hear it now: "Why two buttons? They're so close together and if you press in the wrong place you get a popup menu. Then there's this center wheel that clicks when I don't want it to. Such poor design... why can't a mouse be a mouse and just point where I want it to point?"

Reaction score
I have no idea what the issue is revolving around the Mighty Mouse. Mine worked fine right out of the box, right click and all, and I love it. I see no issues with it's design either, including the little ball. Maybe I'm in the minority, but for me it works.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (MacBook5,1) Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2000 MHz 2 GB - DDR3 @ 1067 MHz NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Mighty mouse has 3 Proximity Sensors and one switch, so it senses where your finger is to decide which click you want, hence those getting unexpected results with 2 fingers resting on the case.

Another mystery solved. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.