• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Formating Smart/Flash thumb drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) macOS 10.14, 3.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB RAM
I have a new Mercedes Benz that has built in Dash Cam. It requires a Smart/Flash thumb drive with USB C connection. I purchased a SanDisk 128Gb drive and it worked fine...until it maxed out on large video files. The Dash Cam system has a "Loop" function whereby when flash drive gets full, new videos are recorded over older files on the drive. I got a Dash Cam function not available due to insufficient memory. I put flash drive in my iMac and did a "select all" (Cmd + A) and deleted all files. Put the drive back into the vehicle and got the same insufficient memory pop up. Bottom line...I took car to dealer and told them the Loop function of the system didn't work. Also told them I may have deleted necessary files for flash drive to function. They put in another drive (Mercedes Flash drive???) and it worked fine..Dash Cam functioned. They tried the drive I deleted files from and they said they could not get it to work. Can I reformat the flash drive I deleted all of the files from and is there a type of/selectable format that must be used? Want to see if I caused my drive not to be readable. Loop function issue TBD. Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Did you empty the trash after you deleted the files on the drive? If you did not, the file are still there, in the trash, until you empty the trash. To do that, put the drive back in the Mac and let it mount, then look in the Trash and empty it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Trash is empty iMac recognizes the drive, I just want to reformat and ensure it is reformatted correctly so it can be read by my car’s system and files can be saved in it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
If you do a "Get Info" (command, I) on the drive, it will tell you what format it is.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Figured it out. I should have formatted the drive in ms-DOS...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.