first mac , i'm not pleased

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
weird for a new mac

hope you get this problem solved

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
In finder - Macintosh HD - Library - Logs - open panic.log

This is the log generated by KP's.

If it is the Airport card - you will see the following toward the bottom of the log generated during each KP.

com.apple.driver.AirPortAtheros(223.47.4)@0x9fd000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily(1.5.1)@0x83e000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.2)@0x59d000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family(154.1)@0x854000

Would also try connecting via RJ45 instead of the wireless and see if the KP's stop. If not, it is something else.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
bobtomay is correct, what you posted before is the wrong log. This post got lost and I never found it again to tell you that.

Reaction score
Yea, I've never in my whole life heard of anything like this 2 notebooks in a row.

Bobtomay gave you some good advice to try to fix stuff and find out what the problem is yourself but thats just f&#(*d up in general; its never happened to me or anyone I know and that prolly means about 50 Macs in total.

goodluck man

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Let me also say, was just pointing out where you may possiby find the cause of the panics. But, with a brand new machine, I'm with you - that bites the bullit - if it wasn't something I could fix very easily myself, it'd be going back for another exchange.

Also, still as a relative newb to the Mac side and a long time hardware enthusiast on the other side, OS X is pretty awesome - if you can get one that's actually working. :( Keepin' my fingers crossed for ya.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
like any product made in the world there are going to be a few that are bad that simply slip on by....call up or bring it into apple. remember that if their solution isnt up to their standards you have 14 days to return it and then you can simply buy a new one. i dont know if a restock fee will apply though. good luck in your venture and im sorry you got a faulty book
-chris

Reaction score
Mine is 6 mths old. I get kernel panic whenever I turn it on if there is anything (external drive, usb, printer, etc) plugged into it ... and have to hard reboot.
It has happened a number of other times too.
Most recently I had it with no ability to get past grey screen with alternating black apple, no entry sign and occasional flashing folder with question mark.
Like you, my experience of buying a Mac has not been 'it just works' but rather, 'it just works for a while'.
We don't have Apple stores where I live, and the local store MacStation basically just wants you to f&# off unless you're buying a computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" matte screen MBP 2.6GHz - 7200RPM 200G
Man - this isn't making me feel real good about just dropping $3500 on a new MBP that's not been delivered yet... :( If I wanted trouble I'd have bought another Dell or HP laptop...

I sure hope you get it resolved soon and keep us posted!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
like any product made in the world there are going to be a few that are bad that simply slip on by....
-chris

I don't think that's always the case, they do test things at factory.

You do have to remember that these things are delivered and delivery drivers don't always handle things with care.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Iphone 8gig, inherited powerbook (beer+mac=power-brick)
DEMAND a replacement.

Not every product that rolls of a line is the same nor are they all perfect. Its a risk we take everytime we purchase something. sorry you were an unlucky customer dont let this blemish your view of apple. Just take it back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
You using a thumbdrive, or external disk?

I have found the one thing almost guaranteed to make my Mac crap the bed is to do an untidy disconnect of a external firewire drive. Not so sure about USB, but does any of this ring a bell?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
Mine is 6 mths old. I get kernel panic whenever I turn it on if there is anything (external drive, usb, printer, etc) plugged into it ... and have to hard reboot.
It has happened a number of other times too.
Most recently I had it with no ability to get past grey screen with alternating black apple, no entry sign and occasional flashing folder with question mark.
Like you, my experience of buying a Mac has not been 'it just works' but rather, 'it just works for a while'.
We don't have Apple stores where I live, and the local store MacStation basically just wants you to f&# off unless you're buying a computer.

welcome to the forums. just for future reference. it is probably better to post a new thread rather than revisit one as old as this.

Reaction score
It's almost 100% certain you have a hardware problem. I just got my new Macbook on Nov. 30th and it is running smoother than a baby's bottom.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Retina 5K/3.4GHz Core i5/256GB SSD/40GB DDR4/Logitech MX Master 2S/
I don't own one, but it seems to me that you should bring it back, demonstrate the problem, let them open a fresh one up and run it through the basic hoops in front of you. Isn't that what the expert counter (or whatever they call it) is all about? Why spend the gas going back and forth... it might be some kind of user error (hey anything is possible) so let an apple geek load your pictures from the external drive and then put it through its paces.

Reaction score
I don't own one, but it seems to me that you should bring it back, demonstrate the problem, let them open a fresh one up and run it through the basic hoops in front of you. Isn't that what the expert counter (or whatever they call it) is all about? Why spend the gas going back and forth... it might be some kind of user error (hey anything is possible) so let an apple geek load your pictures from the external drive and then put it through its paces.
I use to have the same problem with my macbook. It was the 10.4.10 update that caused it. I think you have to delete some file in some internet log thing. Ill search for it and let you know

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.