Firefox or Google Chrome on your Mac?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Yes, but there is a difference between mobile and mini. Mini is really for those who have low bandwidth and low speed since everything is compressed by Opera before you get it. Because of this, many features don't work on websites since you're really just getting a static page. The mobile version however is like the desktop version.

If you use iOS, you can only get the mini version since Apple doesn't allow iOS apps to interpret code (which all browsers do). This is why you can't get the much better mobile version.

C

chas_m

Just thought I'd throw this in there:

Browser test puts Safari for Mac, Firefox for Windows on top | Electronista

What I've noticed over the years is that people will install a new browser (pick one, doesn't matter) and go WOW that's a lot faster than [my previous browser]! So they'll start using it regularly.

But the new browser didn't have any cache buildup, cookies to read, etc. Once it acquires some use over time, "magically" its speed settles down to AROUND the same speed as most other top-name browsers. So then some technical issue or Flash glitch or something annoys the user, they decide to try out a new browser, and the cycle repeats.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I think the Tom's Hardware results you linked to (indirectly) are a perfect example of how there is no one perfect browser. The history of that test demonstrates this:

Screen Shot 2012-02-11 at 7.16.32 PM.jpg

Browser development is much too fast to say that one is objectively better than another. In fact, I could easily find test results online that say each of the major browsers is better than another only to find conflicting results a week later. This is why I'm sure that the Tom's results from their next GP will crown a new champion.

Reaction score
That is a tough one. I like them both, but I think I'm partial to Firefox right now. I also like using Safari as of late. One thing I find annoying about Chrome is when I try to copy wallpaper (right click to get the option to "save as desktop wallpaper), it never gives me that option. In Safari, Firefox, and even the Opera browser I get this option. What is up with that anyway?

May God Bless.

Ed

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
even the Opera browser I get this option
Of course Opera does it since it does just about everything else. Remember, this is a browser with an email client, IRC client and built in torrent functionality (and still manages to be smaller than every other browser). ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
I just stick with that weird compass thing that we've all been given. :)

Reaction score
Of course Opera does it since it does just about everything else. Remember, this is a browser with an email client, IRC client and built in torrent functionality (and still manages to be smaller than every other browser). ;)

Thank you for the information sir. I think I'm really starting to like the Opera Browser. After reading this post, it has motivated me to get more into the Opera experience. I just signed up/started "My Opera" account. I just like the start page as soon as you click on it (all my favorite sites right in front of me, including Mac-Forums, thank you very much). My question is, how does it work in the Windows 7 environment? I will be getting a new Lenovo x220 laptop this week (if it comes in the mail this week, hopefully), and I was wondering if Opera works just as well with Opera? Although, I must say I'm a pretty big fan of IE 9. I think this version of IE is the best and most complete I've seen.

Take care and May God bless!

Ed

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Opera is even better in Windows 7. I have it on a USB key so I can use it on the Windows machines at school and it's quite nice.

Look into Opera Link - it will sync Opera across multiple installations (bookmarks, passwords, speed dial, etc.). If you set that up, your Opera installations will be the same on both machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB
Speed wise for what i do I personally cant tell the difference between any of them, However i much prefer Chrome, just looks better than Firefox, which is butt ugly, even with themes.
I like to have icons on the bookmarks bar of my most used websites, safari wont even let me do this, has to be text.
Also Chrome has never once caused me issues, ive had several with Safari hanging with the beachball spinning away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
Here are the three I use - FF 75 percent, Chrome 20 percent and Safari about 5 percent.

Reaction score
Chrome

i use chrome and love it except for the part where u have to manually delete history and cookies.

Reaction score
I am big fan of FF, I tried chrome when it was newly launched but again I switched to FF.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
OSX - Safari
Win7 - IE9
Ubuntu - Firefox

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just curious - any particular reason you don't use the same browser across platforms? I know Firefox is a piece of junk on OS X (well anywhere actually but I'll refrain from going further with that) but it works pretty well on Windows. Combine that with a sync service and you've got a nice cross platform browsing experience.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.