Finally got a Mac! But a few problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Good to hear.
Now, just stay vigilant with your backups, and only run OnyX every 2-3 months or so, and all should run smoothly.

OP
T
Reaction score
I do regular backups, that's not a problem. Only run onyx every 2-3 months? I've had this mac for a year and only run it once now, can it be run too much? I know the pc I have changes drastically after a cleaning but this mac still seems the same. i'm amazed how well it worked with all these problems in the background.

Tbone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Macs don't have the registries that Windows PCs do, so you don't get the same file clutter.
Running OnyX too often can slow things down a fair, as clearing the caches, etc, makes it take longer for things to launch and run until things have been run a fair bit.

Basically, in the early hours of the morning, OS X runs it's maintenance scripts automatically.
If you always allow your Mac to shut down or sleep during these hours, then using OnyX every 2-3 months is a good idea, otherwise, it is really not essential.

See http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/maintscripts.html

There is really nothing to do in majority of cases but to sit back and enjoy using your Mac :)

*I never turn off my Macs unless a software update forces me to do so, or if I travel by plane, otherwise, I have the display set to sleep after 3hrs of no use and computer set to sleep 'never' unless I close the lid which I do on occasion.
Never had any problems with my Macs :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.