File size, syncing & available space on the iPad

Reaction score
How would the sound quality compare if I compressed my music library to the 128kbps ACC?

Reaction score
I'm using mine primarily as an app machine. I'll use netflix for movies and television shows, Pandora/Sirius for music (or possibly Rhapsody... still waiting on a verdict), and anything I must load up music wise will fit on my iPod Touch (iPhone once it comes to Verizon).

Books are going to be my second largest space requirement, outside of apps and games. At the minimum space requirements, 16 gig will be just fine for me, when coupled with my 32 gig iPod Touch. I'm going to buy a case/carrying bag that allows easy carry of both.

Reaction score
of lewisohn

Maybe it will end being overkill but I still got the 64gb version "just in case."

Better too much than too little.

Reaction score
Encoding movies

I have been using HandBrake on my iMac to encode movies for the iPad. It is possible to set a target size for the mp4 file. I've been using 250 mbyte per hour which gives me a very good quality picture and audio. For example, The Green Mile came in at 700 mbyte. It is nearly three hours long.

Reaction score
I bought the 16gb iPad and it is fine storage wise. I find that the things i do the most take up almost no space, like writing notes, downloading books, and watching Netflix streaming videos. The Goodreader app allows me to easily transfer my movies over wi-fi, so as soon as i am done i can delete them and put another one on in about 15 min.

That being said, if you like to watch movies aall the time and keep them on your iPad, get the 32 or 64.. But for most people, 16 should be fine.

Reaction score
**post deleted**

note to mods - since no one replied to my question, I have deleted this post and made a new thread in the ipad section of this board, so please don't think I'm cross-posting.

Also I tried to delete this post but can find no "delete" button in edit - so could you please delete it for me?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Well that's pretty good thanks Bob! I am more interested in magazines. Are you using Zinio and if yes, how is it and how much space does one magazine take?

Hi Voony, each magazine would require a certain amount of space which is based on the content - ie how big the magazine is and if it's interactive with lots of videos etc. Usually they can be anywhere between 9MB and 100MB (some even bigger). The best way to find out the size for each magazine is to go to the library and select edit (for iPhone and iPad) and then you will be able to see the size for most of the magazines however once you download the magazine on your iPhone and read it you can simply delete it as it's stored in your library so it can be downloaded again later.
Hope this helps.

Reaction score
I was pretty ****-bent on getting 32GB worth of storage, but now I'm not so sure.

After looking at my Macbook Pro, I've barely used any memory, and it's my only computer. It says that I've got 212.42 GB available; I can't remember how much it shipped with (and I haven't found a place to view this) but I know that this will change because I'm hoping to go all digital (help the environment, etc.)

Even if I do that, with streaming services like Plex (or Air Video?), Netflix, Hulu Plus, mSpot, etc. I would probably keep just two gigs of Music on the iPad and only worry about movies for a long car trip.

For an idea of what I plan on using the iPad for:

Daily planner using wunderlist (or OmniFocus, if I splurge); content consumption (all of those streaming services listed above, movies, music, web); content creation (GarageBand and PlainType/Writer/Simplenote) and gaming.

Will those things (particularly the games and GarageBand) end up taking up a lot of space? Do you think that 16 or 32 is better? I can afford both, but saving $100 is always nice--and could be used towards apps and buying movies/TV shows/music/ebooks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.