FBI virus locking up Safari on Macbook Air

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Might want to enable Private Browsing when visiting a questionable site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
That would be OSXX I want to thank for the suggestion to discomnnect WI-FI !! PERFECT THANKS!!

Hi again Ed - glad that your issue was resolved - but for our 'experts' who made a lot of excellent suggestions to resolve the problem (once happened to me and the previous comments worked) - WHY does disconnecting from Wi-Fi correct the 'browser hijack'? Just trying to understand for future reference - thanks. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Also a bit curious here and wondering if booting up using Safe Boot Mode might have helped. :D

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It works because there is nothing "on" your computer. It is a browser hijacker. It only works when visiting the web site that hijacks it.

The issue with force quitting most browsers, is they re-open the same tabs that were open when you force quit. When you re-open the browser after a force quit, it begins reloading the same websites that were open when you quit it, including the one which once again wants you to interact with their window and give them some money. Disconnecting (or turning off wifi) prevents those pages from re-loading and gives you time to close that tab so that it can't reload.

There really is no need to reset Safari either - there is nothing in Safari that will cause it.
All you have to do is close the tab for the web site that's doing the hi-jacking before it can reload.
If you're fast enough to close the offending tab after launching the browser - don't even need to turn off your wifi.

Last edited:

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And for the op - what you were saved from, is giving $70 to the same guys that were holding your browser hostage.

They would not have fixed it, when that $70 didn't fix it (because they didn't want it to), they would have wanted a couple hundred next for the next rip-off fix.

That's what we call a scam...

Never give money to any pop up window on your computer saying they can fix what's wrong with it - period - never.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini late 2012; mac mini early 2014; old mac mini running centos; new macbook air; iPad;iPhone
if the guy who hosed your browser is suggesting something, do something else. I also would not pay the guy and would rather find any other way.

consider booting from an external drive and reinstalling the IOS.

if you have terminal you could download another browser via ftp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
if the guy who hosed your browser is suggesting something, do something else. I also would not pay the guy and would rather find any other way.

consider booting from an external drive and reinstalling the IOS.

if you have terminal you could download another browser via ftp

Well you're coming in late to this thread - the problem has already been solved - did you read the posts?

Plus, not iOS but a laptop w/ OS X - just saying? Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Be glad it wasn't a Win machine you got this on. I had to fix someone's computer that had this "FBI" ransomeware on it and removing it wasn't pretty.

Reaction score
Safari Virus

I'm new to this Forum and joined just to thank Bobtomay and OSXX for their help. Between the two of them, I was able to fix my problem. At first, I panicked and thought my Mac had a virus but, when I calmed down, I realized it was just Safari. I couldn't do anything - the pop-up said 'Smart Online Scan', to call a number - and to pay. Also, a warning not to turn your computer off or it will crash. The tab read 'PC-Critical-Error Report.com'.

I want to thank Bobtomay for explaining what was causing it and thank OSXX for 'Do not have Safari set to open last page viewed'. Since I didn't know how to do that, I turned my Wifi off, clicked on reset Safari and unchecked all but 'Close all Safari windows'.

Perfect! I'm so happy I found this forum and thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 MacBook Pro 2.0 i7,4gb ram 500 hd
Be glad it wasn't a Win machine you got this on. I had to fix someone's computer that had this "FBI" ransomeware on it and removing it wasn't pretty.

I had to help a friend of mine fix his windows 7 machine that got the fib/obama scam on it as well....had to completely erase his hard drive and reinstall win 7. 2 weeks later it came on his android phone and he had to have sprint reset the entire phone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.