• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Favorite Place to Buy Macs?

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I used to order from Amazon quite a bit because I generally found them reliable and their response time to an order was always very fast. However, nowadays I avoid them for any large order - reason: the State of Texas brow beat them into collecting Texas sales tax from on line orders. I try to shop where there is no sales tax collected - at least for large expensive items.

Something for me to remember as I buy a LOT from Amazon, and am considering moving to Texas when I retire.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
We have a small Mac only shop here in town called Mac Daddy. When the Apple Store went in it sort of hurt them a bit but they keep on going. bought most of my new Macs there as I like to support small local stores. They have excellent service also for those who need it.

Also bought some at CompUSA's Mac department we had here. Loved it but as we all know they went under. Only bought a full sized USB Apple keyboard as the Apple store. :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Also bought some at CompUSA's Mac department we had here. Loved it but as we all know they went under.

They're still around Dennis, they were bought out by Tiger Direct. They have a store about 5 miles from my home here in Fort Worth. I haven't been in there to look around as they just opened at that new location a bit ago. I don't know if they still sell Macs. I don't really care since an Apple Store is only about 15 minutes from my home. :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yes but not the same owners, very different product line. I really do not like Apple stores all that much. Always crowded and hard to get someone to ask a question to. Just my personal feelings.

Am almost sure the Tiger Direct CompUSA stores do not have a quality Mac department like the old CompUSA had here. They hired Apple Trained staff and ours were very knowledgeable. Went there for the launch of Tiger and helped him with an issue he was having in his demo to everyone there. Good old days! :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
They probably don't have quality Mac folks there. You're right about the old CompUSA, they had very good tech support for just about all the items they sold including the Mac line. Of course you could always visit the Mac counter at Best Buy.... ;P

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They probably don't have quality Mac folks there. You're right about the old CompUSA, they had very good tech support for just about all the items they sold including the Mac line. Of course you could always visit the Mac counter at Best Buy.... ;P

Interesting you would mention them! When the Magic mouse came out and also the Magic trackpad, The Apple Store was out of them so got them at Best Buy of all places in their Mac counter area! :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem buying your Mac or accessories from Best Buy. Just don't take your Mac or Apple device to them for repair!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.