Fan Spin On Start Up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Hi everyone. Hope you are all doing well.

Just this morning I decided to have a look at my old 13" MacBook Pro with a view to selling it or giving it away. It's an early 2015 base model. It's been stored in a dry place, unused for around 2 years now.

So, I plugged it into the mains charger, turned it on and straight away the fans are spinning at full speed.

I tried an SMC reset but to no avail - the fans are still at full speed. I opened it up and blew out the very small amount of dust lurking inside. Again, still spinning away merrily!

My question is then, what can I do with this otherwise absolutely perfect MacBook? Shall I leave it in a warmer, drier place for a while in the hope that if it's the temperature sensors they will clear up? Should I install a 3rd party fan controller to stop them spinning? Obviously that doesn't get to the root of the problem.

thanks as always, Nick

Last edited by a moderator:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Does the machine boot up fully? If it fully comes up, the fans should return to normal at some point.

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
thanks Ashwin
Yes it boots up.
And after a couple of shut downs and re-starts it seems OK.
It needs a new battery, but I'll use it for a week or so and if all is good I'll decide what to do with it :)

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Maybe just a glitch after being unused for a long time, I don't think I would bother with a 3rd party app like Macs Fan Controller if you're considering selling or giving away as you'd have to delete it as part of the "setup for sale" process ie. reinstalling the OS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.