Fan Continuously Running

Reaction score
Hi Guys.

I'm using a 2019 16" MacBook Pro running Sonoma 14.0 - 64gb RAM 2TB solid state drive.
The last of the intel machines I suspect.

My cooling fan is running constantly and won't stop.
This laptop hasnt missed s beat since I got it new in 2021.

Very recently, like a week ago, I installed Microsoft 360. I'm wondering if one of the installed components of that is the culprit.

I'm hoping someone here has a fix?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
OP
J
Reaction score
You can check your suspicions about MS Office 360 in Activity Monitor but I think I would be inclined to simply reset the System Management Controller (SMC) first; How (and When) to Reset the SMC on Your Mac
Thank you for your response. The funniest thing though. Now after 4 hrs of that fan running on full steam, its just slowed right down. I wonder does this mean it's healing itself? I'll see what happens over the next few hours and then take up your suggested options. Once againn thank you for your response.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
When the fans speed up, check Activity Monitor and the CPU tab to see what's happening. If you have O365 set to auto update, it will continually get updates to all of the applications and install them. When this happens, you'll notice that "installd" in Activity Monitor is taking up a lot of cycles and turning up the heat.

Though, this shouldn't really last for 4 hours.

OP
J
Reaction score
When the fans speed up, check Activity Monitor and the CPU tab to see what's happening. If you have O365 set to auto update, it will continually get updates to all of the applications and install them. When this happens, you'll notice that "installd" in Activity Monitor is taking up a lot of cycles and turning up the heat.

The fan has ompletely stopped now. Been off for an hour. In the almost 3yrs i've had this machine I've barely noticed the fan running at any time. Maybe its an anomoly but i'll for sure keep an eye on the AM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Maybe its an anomoly but i'll for sure keep an eye on the AM.

You might want to consider installing the free Macs Fan Control utility so you can at least keep an eye on your Mac's internal temperatures and fan speeds whenever you like:

PS: I use it because I prefer to run our Macs at a cooler temperature than Apple's OS default settings and the fans are still inaudible most of the time.

- Patrick
=======

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You might want to consider installing the free Macs Fan Control utility so you can at least keep an eye on your Mac's internal temperatures and fan speeds whenever you like:

PS: I use it because I prefer to run our Macs at a cooler temperature than Apple's OS default settings and the fans are still inaudible most of the time.

- Patrick
=======
Generally good idea for machines that are having heating issues, but I wouldn't recommend that app on a reasonable working machine. You want the Apple designed system to do its business when things get hot and the fans get faster as needed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You want the Apple designed system to do its business when things get hot and the fans get faster as needed.

I would agree if Apples macOS and settings actually work that way but one of the reasons I started using Macs Fan Control.app years ago was because Apple's temperature settings were much higher than I wanted my Mac to run, so Macs Fan Control.app allows me to set a lower temperature with virtually no fan noise that I can hear. It has a Broad Safety range built in if it ever needs it, meanwhile, my iMac keeps working happily in the mid and relatively cool 30's°C temperature range.

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:
OP
J
Reaction score

- Patrick
=======
I've installed this. Very handy. Is it worth getting the Pro version?

OP
J
Reaction score

Yes, I've pretty much got AM running permanant. Must say my fans haven't gone mad since original post. If Mac Fan Control is taken into conideration, the fans are running constantly? But not audible, until higher speeds?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, the fans are running at a lower speed. On my previous Intel-based MBPs, they were around 1000-1300 rpms which isn't very audible. Under heavy load, the temps rise from around 40-50 degC to over 85 degC and higher and that's when the fans would ramp up to 3k or more and you'd absolutely hear them.

On my new M2 based MBP, my current workflow doesn't task the machine much and I don't go beyond 32 degC on it, and thus the fans aren't audible at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've installed this. Very handy. Is it worth getting the Pro version?

Personally, I don't think the extra features are worth it as the free version is so very easy to change and set up to what amounts to one's custom settings.

But you can always buy a license to help support good usable software, or just send a donation to show your appreciation and help any further development.
Always appreciated I'm sure.

I'm glad you find it useful.

- Patrick
=======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I agree with Patrick, the pro version doesn't really give you much more than you get with the free version. Mostly, just saveable presets for different purposes but I have used this utility for years and bought the pro version just to show my appreciation and support for the developers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.