FaceTime

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
Being that you're running an older version of MacOS, I don't have the same screen. But, I would guess it would be under Personal if that's the top-most list.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OS 10.13.6 with 8Gb memory
I've checked all the way through System Preferences and there is nothing anywhere about Notifications.

Those websites don't seem to be relevant to me, Patrick, but thanks for trying. And Spotlight did not find Notifications.

David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've checked all the way through System Preferences and there is nothing anywhere about Notifications.

Ahhh relief, good ol' Google search, it really can help.

mende1Level 10 (93444 points)Desktops
by mende1 Mar 26, 2013 11:49 AM in response to Elena56
Welcome to the Apple Support Communities

Notification Center is a OS X Mountain Lion feature [10.8.x], so it's normal that you haven't got it in OS X Lion. If you want this feature, upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion > http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/

If you want to stay in OS X Lion, you can get notifications with Growl in all the applications that supports Growl
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4920490?start=0&tstart=0

But ahha… also from the same google search another hit says…:
10 Ways to Get OS X Mountain Lion Features on your Mac Right Now
http://osxdaily.com/2012/03/02/get-os-x-mountain-lion-features-for-mac-now/

As it says:
Can’t wait for OS X Mountain Lion to be released this summer? You can get many of the features of the next generation Mac OS X version right now. Whether you are running OS X Lion or to an extent, OS X Snow Leopard, read on to find out how to get everything from notifications, note syncing, synced reminders, iMessages, the simplified Safari UI, Twitter integration, AirPlay mirroring, and much more.

Hope that helps. ;)

- Patrick
======

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, Patrick. Bedtime here in London, so I'll look into this tomorrow.

David

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick

The “upgrade to Mountain Lion” is actually to Sierra and is from 2012, which is when I got this iMac, so very much out of date, I think.

What looks the most useful is iChat, which I already have. However, when I open iChat it asks for my AOL Instant Messenger Password, and I have no idea what that is! (It’s not my Apple ID, and it’s not in my keychain.)

David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The “upgrade to Mountain Lion” is actually to Sierra and is from 2012, which is when I got this iMac, so very much out of date, I think.

Yup, time marches on and Apple pulls most if not all of their recent but older OS versions.

What looks the most useful is iChat, which I already have. However, when I open iChat it asks for my AOL Instant Messenger Password, and I have no idea what that is!

I believe that's from setting up an AIM account and was also needed for use with AOL Messenger etc.

One had to use it some years ago to get many "chat apps" working and before Apple got their sh*t together forcing a user to use one of their methods, and it looks like that may be the same situation today.

But you can get some info via the comments at:
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/12174/apple-ichat

PS: Why not just use an old version of Skype, if it would still work, but I can't recall if it also requires some registered settings you could still use??

- Patrick
======

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll look at the latest iChat, thanks.

However, FaceTime suddenly looks viable. I now have my step-daughter's e-mail listed on Favourites, and when I clicked on it this morning I got what sounded like one telephone ring! (She was asleep in Oregon.) However, I shan't know till I try to speak to her, and I think she's away this weekend.

David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I now have my step-daughter's e-mail listed on Favourites, and when I clicked on it this morning I got what sounded like one telephone ring!

Wow and YEAY!! It sounds like it's finally set itself up and ready to work.

When she's home and awake, you'll have to try a one ringy dingy, two ringy dingy at least… :Blushing:
But maybe you never got the old LaughIn TV series many years ago in the UK. If so just google it …

- Patrick
======

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
FaceTime is now working!

I don't know why it wasn't before. However, if there are further problems I hope I now know what to do.

Incidentally, it looks as if iChat is now discontinued - but I was never good at messaging anyway, and my typing isn't good enough to keep up a conversation.

Anyway, thanks to you all for your suggestions, especially Patrick.

David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
FaceTime is now working!
… … …
Incidentally, it looks as if iChat is now discontinued

Good to hear and I gather it used some of your old settings.

Even if an app is discontinued or maybe not supported, it not over until it just doesn't work any more AFAIK.

BTW: Here's an interesting tidbit and not sure if it affects you:
Apple will end support for AIM iChat logins on older versions of Mac OS X
https://systemfolder.wordpress.com/2014/04/23/end-ichat-login/

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.