EyeTV Hybrid HDTV Tuner

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I am 99% certain. I had the EyeTV Wonder 2.0 which is essentially the hybrid but bigger and was unable to pause live television unless I was recording it. With my hardware based unit I am able to set a buffer (I set it to 10gb) that it stores as I am watching no matter what...only pain is that I can't decide I want to save the buffer and have it save

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
That is a bummer, but thanks about the info.. You da man :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Actually I have a similar hybrid stick (the terratec hybrid XS which is almost identical feature-wise) and I CAN pause live tv.

Just hit the pause button and the eyeTV software starts to record it into its cache. Hit play again and it will resume playing.

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah well that is cool.. I ordered it today and have no idea when Ill receive it, but hopefully soon. It's going to be pretty cool messing around with it :) Thanks for all your help everyone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
Murlyn said:
Ah well that is cool.. I ordered it today and have no idea when Ill receive it, but hopefully soon. It's going to be pretty cool messing around with it :) Thanks for all your help everyone!
Did you order the hybrid or the 250? I will be interested in how you like it when you get a chance to try it out, as I am thinking about one as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Hybrid stick I have is great. It has the same composite, s-video and sound input as the model murlyn is looking at, and has DVB-T and analog (digital terrestrial TV) reception as well.

The software and remote are very nice and with the latest EyeTV upgrade you can even control the entire system using a front-row like interface that can also be used to switch to front row...

I still think apple should buy elgato and integrate the whole lot properly though :)

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I ordered the EyeTV 250 Wednesday night, and got it Friday morning :)

From what I can see it works very very nicely. It was very easy to use. Now I just need to figure out a good way of hooking it up permanently (vs just testing it). Im not sure why i didn't think about the whole hooking it up thing :)

If anybody can think of a better way please let me know.

I am going to be splitting the current cable that goes into my cable modem, so that one end goes into the modem and the other end into the EyeTV 250 and then hook it up to my iMac. Does that sound right or is there a better way? I wish my cable modem had an input and output.. that would really be helpful :)

Only thing I see open on the back of my cable modem is a USB slot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea a splitter is the way to go, inexpensive and easy. Just remember you will need one more coaxial cable to go from the wall to the splitter, so make sure you have one so you know if you need one when you pick up a splitter.

F

Fallooza

Murlyn said:
Well I ordered the EyeTV 250 Wednesday night, and got it Friday morning :)

From what I can see it works very very nicely. It was very easy to use. Now I just need to figure out a good way of hooking it up permanently (vs just testing it). Im not sure why i didn't think about the whole hooking it up thing :)

If anybody can think of a better way please let me know.

I am going to be splitting the current cable that goes into my cable modem, so that one end goes into the modem and the other end into the EyeTV 250 and then hook it up to my iMac. Does that sound right or is there a better way? I wish my cable modem had an input and output.. that would really be helpful :)
Only thing I see open on the back of my cable modem is a USB slot
thats the way ta do it. i have mine the same way

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im not losing any speed doing the splitting am I? or is it so small it doesn't matter? Yeah I have a kit that I bought quite a long time ago.. and a whole lot of cable :) But it looks like I need to buy some metal caps for the cable.. which Ill do today and then put the cable together and then plug everything in! I am quite impressed with the whole thing.. they've done a great job :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea I don't think you will notice a thing splitting it. Whenever you add new cable jacks in your house all the cable company does is just put in a splitter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I really like Elgato's products, you can tell they make the effort to provide a good apple-like experience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea I have been very pleased with everything I have worked with from El Gato. EyeTV 2 was a truly great upgrade from 1.8 and they really added thing that the users wanted. They did a great job getting an iPod export function soon after the iPods with video were released

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
Glad to see you like your tv tuner Murlyn

Has it been confirmed that I cant pause the eyetv hybrid without recording? Will I still get HD with a eyetv hybrid if I connect it to a HD cable box?

Will the eyetv 250 or hybrid record in mpeg-4?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The hybrid receives HD content only from an antenna, if you hook up the box you can only receive SD content.

Neither of them can record in mpeg4. Both are limited to mpeg1 and 2.

The plextor unit can record in Divx, mpeg1/2/4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
trpnmonkey41 said:
The hybrid receives HD content only from an antenna, if you hook up the box you can only receive SD content.

Neither of them can record in mpeg4. Both are limited to mpeg1 and 2.

The plextor unit can record in Divx, mpeg1/2/4

Whats the benifit of the eyetv 250 over the hybrid, it costs $50-60 more than the hybrid?

What is the model of your plextor unit?

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can export as pretty much anything though...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
that plextor unit is nice but even on the web its expensive. the hybrid is out because you cant pause.

Now its the eyetv 250 and 200. It looks as if the eyetv 200 is better than the 250. It does everything the 250 does and does mpeg-4. Is there somthing i'm missing? Will the 200 work with intel macs?

plus the 200 is cheaper on ebay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The 200 is a larger unit and doesn't have game mode (low latency) like the 250 has. Other then that I can't think of any differences off the top of my head

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.