Extremely Slow imac (Help Please)

M

MacHeadCase

Not sure what you mean but... If you're talking to me and mean I already posted this idea, I never got any reply to see if the OP tried it or not.

Reinstalling the OS should always be the last thing to do. OS X is not like Windoze.

OP
N
Reaction score
I have restarted the computer over and over. That doesn't solve the problem. And no this is not a hoax, just a very frustrating problem.

Reaction score
Boot from your OS X install disk by restarting and holding down the C button. Once booted it will look like you are doing a new install. Go to utilities int he menu bar and select Disk Utility. Repair the disk as it sounds like you may have bad sectors from our previous approach.

Look through activity monitor to look for a resource hogging app / widget or something. They can almost crash your system if you have one.

OP
N
Reaction score
I tried using a different user account, but that didn't work. I decided to save the applications that I could and download OS X again. Whatever the problem was it seems to now be fixed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Download OS X again?

And incidentally, what programs appear in Activity Monitor? A rogue program running can sap your processor threads.

OP
N
Reaction score
Alexis,

I am not sure exactly what you mean. Will you elaborate a little?

Reaction score
The only OS X systems that can be downloaded are updates on Apple's site, otherwise loaded with Software Update when Apple offers them. A full OS X install can only be accomplished with an install DVD.

The Activity Monitor is a program you can find in the Utilites folder, inside the Applications folder. There's a drop-down menu on the right that includes "All Processes." Go to that because everything is listed, then check under the "% CPU" column.

This reveals how busy the computer is when running a particular program in the list. If the percentage is high (and if it never stops), you'll know why everything else is running slowly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.