External monitor for MPB (?)

Reaction score
I currently have an MPB ... quite an old one now ... running 10.13.6. It has what I think are called 'thunderbolt' ... these are small rectangular plugs that are marked with a lightning symbol.

For some years I had an external monitor and found this useful when writing something on the MPB while at the same time looking at a web page for reference. Unfortunately, the monitor died a couple of years back. I did try a small TV but the the images are fuzzy.

I now need a new, external monitor for a writing project.

I don't need a big and expensive one from Apple, but will look at some of the local stores in the UK (Currys etc). In any case, something like 16 inches would be big enough.

I already have a connector that worked with the defunct monitor and also with the TV so I should be fine (connector-wise) for my current set up. But is there a risk that a new monitor from Currys will not be compatible with a new MPB when I get around to buying one? I will obviously not worry about the expense of buying connectors.

Many thanks in advance for advice.

M

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Probably not much of a risk. The current Mac models are using USB C connections. there are cables/ada[ters readily available to connect current Macs to either HDMI, VGA, Displayport, and Mini DisplayPort connections. As long as you monitor has one of these connections you should be good.

If you have the desk space and budget check out some of the monitors a bit larger. You may not need the extra screen real estate now but it could come in handy in the future. Right now some of the 23 and 24-inch monitors are in the same price range as the smaller ones.

Edit: BTW I notice that you mentioned Apple monitors. Apple has been out of the monitor end of the computer business for several years now. Any Apple-branded monitor you see on eBay or elsewhere will be several years old. Although the article I linked to mentions LG displays most third-party displays will work. fine.

Last edited:
OP
M
Reaction score
OK and many thanks for your reassuring reply ... all duly noted.
As far as size is concerned, I'm somewhat limited by space on the desk.
Renewed thanks and best regards.
M

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, and many thanks for your reassuring reply ... all duly noted.
M
You're welcome. I hope that info is helpful.

As far as size is concerned, I'm somewhat limited by space on the desk.
Renewed thanks and best regards.
M

The lack of space is perfectly understandable. I purchased an LG ultrawide display about a year ago as a second monitor for my iMac. I like the monitor but should have avoided the ultrawide version because I find the extra width a little difficult to accommodate on my disk, I also find the difference in aspect ratio between it and my iMac distracting at time.

I looked briefly at monitors in the size range you're interested in and noticed that there were a few that only supported VGA. I'd suggest looking for one that supports other standards/higher resolutions if the budget permits. VGS is probably fine for what you will be using it for right now but the extra resolution makes it useful for other things and shouldn't add significantly to the cost.

OP
M
Reaction score
You're welcome. I hope that info is helpful.

The lack of space is perfectly understandable. I purchased an LG ultrawide display about a year ago as a second monitor for my iMac. I like the monitor but should have avoided the ultrawide version because I find the extra width a little difficult to accommodate on my disk, I also find the difference in aspect ratio between it and my iMac distracting at time.

I looked briefly at monitors in the size range you're interested in and noticed that there were a few that only supported VGA. I'd suggest looking for one that supports other standards/higher resolutions if the budget permits. VGS is probably fine for what you will be using it for right now but the extra resolution makes it useful for other things and shouldn't add significantly to the cost.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks again for the pointers ... I went to Currys this afternoon and guess what! All of the smaller monitors are sold out. Apparently, what with people working from home and students going back to university, there's been a rush on all kinds of stuff. I'll be having a look on some other sites.
M

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's usually what happens to me: By the time I decide to shop, all the bargains are gone. LoL

I saw some on Amazon in that size range this morning, I didn't take an in-depth look, but some models were available in the size range you're interested in. Prime Day is approaching in the US; if they are doing something similar in the UK, you might pick up a pretty good deal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.