External Hard-drive - (Ex Win 10)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
I have just come across to Mac from windows 10, and have removed one of my SSDs, and put in in an external case, which is now connected to my Mac Mini. I can see the drive, and I can access the folders and files, however, I cannot send any of the existing files or folders on this drive "to the bin", or write to it. In the disk utility Erase seems to be available, do I have to reformat to make the drive usable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
If the drive is formatted NTFS, which is the Windows default, macOS can read, but not write, to that drive unless you use a third-party extension. So, depending on what you are headed for, you can copy what's there to the Mac, then use Disk Utility to reformat it to APFS, the macOS default, or FAT32, which is workable with both Mac and Windows.

OP
Jimmysb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the drive is formatted NTFS, which is the Windows default, macOS can read, but not write, to that drive unless you use a third-party extension. So, depending on what you are headed for, you can copy what's there to the Mac, then use Disk Utility to reformat it to APFS, the macOS default, or FAT32, which is workable with both Mac and Windows.
Perfect, (the answer is), though not what I wanted to hear, many thanks, at least I know which direction to go in :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
You can for for that third party extension, if you want. Some of us have use ParagonNTFS successfully, although I don't know if they have a version for Mx Macs yet.

EDIT: It does claim to be M1/M2 compatible.

OP
Jimmysb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can for for that third party extension, if you want. Some of us have use ParagonNTFS successfully, although I don't know if they have a version for Mx Macs yet.

EDIT: It does claim to be M1/M2 compatible.

Many thanks, moved the data over, and formatted, a couple of minor hiccups, but done now and installed as my Time-Machine :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.