external hard drive bricked, need a recovery plan

Reaction score
Seagate 3TB Expansion Desktop drive, FWIW. Verified it doesn't power up. Extricated bare drive from enclosure. Is there a cable that will allow me to hook up the drive to my MBP's USB port? Barring that, how should I proceed? Plan B is to get an external enclosure, install the drive and pray, lol. Understand the drive may be shot, but I really need to know.

And, yes, I'll be adding some type of cloud storage for my backups, posthaste. lol

Addendum: Backblaze looks like a very good cloud backup service. Very good pricing too. Not affiliated with Backblaze in any way.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Check with Mac Sales (www.macsales.com) for a hard drive adapter. The adapter will allow you to attach the bare drive via USB to your Mac and extract data if necessary. If the drive checks out OK that way, you can purchase an inexpensive enclosure for it. Check with Amazon or if you have a Fry's in your neighborhood, go there.

OP
B
Reaction score
Welcome to our forums.

Check with Mac Sales (www.macsales.com) for a hard drive adapter. The adapter will allow you to attach the bare drive via USB to your Mac and extract data if necessary. If the drive checks out OK that way, you can purchase an inexpensive enclosure for it. Check with Amazon or if you have a Fry's in your neighborhood, go there.

****, yeah! Exactly what I need. Ordered it. Fingers crossed. Thanks much!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have one like this and use it regularly since I have a couple of drives that are not in enclosures. It's a quick and brainless solution when I need to connect a drive.

I also have one of these, though I will soon have to order another one since I lost one of the parts. I like it because it allows me to connect IDE drives and 5.25 drives such as DVD drives.

Didn't notice you had already ordered. Maybe this will help someone else.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.