Extending my Wi-Fi signal.

Reaction score
My BT Hub3 is on the mantlepiece downstairs in the living area. It is hard wired to a power-line adapter to take the signal upstairs where we have our desktop computer - works fine.

Using NetSpot software, in the living area I get a signal level (SNR) of around -29. In the kitchen next to the living area (going through one of the original house exterior walls) I get around -70 but it is still just about usable. Upstairs in the bedroom immediately over the hub I get -40, in the hallway upstairs (top of stairs) it is -50 but in the main bedroom, over the kitchen, again through an original outside wall it's -76 and just about unusable.

Knowing nothing about this subject, will plugging one of the many available Wi-Fi extenders into a mains socket in the upstairs hallway boost the signal? If so, has anyone a preference to boosters? There are so many to chose from.

If I plug one of these into a socket, does it use the signal already in the house ring main from the downstairs ethnet connection, or does it pick up and then re transmit the Wi-Fi signal available at that point?

TP-Link TL-WA850RE 300Mbps Universal Wall Plug Range Extender/ Wi-Fi Booster (WPS function, Easy Configuration): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Last edited:
OP
C
Reaction score
Not that anybody is interested, or will even read this but I decided to go ahead and buy a TP-Link TL-WA854RE 300 Mbps Universal Wall Plug Wi-Fi Range Extender and it's brilliant! Very easy to install and works a treat. I now have wi-fi in the bedroom as strong as downstairs next to the hub!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.