Express VPN Vs SurfShark

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Well despite all the hype I have only succeeded in proving what I have always maintained, when it comes to VPN's you get what you pay for.

Influenced by all the advances in VPN technology and yes, the advertising too, I decided to give SurfShark VPN a try. For one thing it's cheap, very cheap, depending on the plan you take out, I went for the 3 months free on a 24 month plan at a little over half the price of Express VPN for one plan but we have two. So a big potential saving.

The UI is great and the installation really simple as is adding another device of any platform with an unlimited number of devices and 6 simultaneous connections. For my wife and I with 7 devices that's ideal.

So, I first set it up on my iPad and although it didn't work for one streaming service I thought it was well worth the time and effort to persevere and duely contacted live chat support. Live chat support were also very good. I only waited about 2min to get on.

After 3 hrs and many changes to settings like, setting up a static IP address, clearing caches, running tests for DNS leaks and automatic diagnostics, etc, etc, we finally admitted defeat. I only had one question left; "Why does Express VPN work while SurfShark does not?" The poor guy did not know of course.
After uninstalling SurfShark and reinstalling Express VPN on our MiBox I go to the two subscription providers we use most in Australia and voila, they both work perfectly.

This is not to say it may not work perfectly for your circumstances and needs it just didn't work for mine.

Maybe I'll try again in another couple of years;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.