Express VPN introduces Threat Manager

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Last week after an update to macOS Express VPN I noted in the "what's new" an added feature called Threat Manager but did not pay it any mind at the time. It was not until this week when I updated the iOS version that I had the time to investigate.
It is an option in settings, switched off by default so, if you opt to use it you need to turn it on.

I found an article on Tom's Guide about it describing it as a, "DNS blocker that stops websites and apps from sharing your activity with certain third parties that are classed as malicious or are known to track you without consent."

This is not unlike Apples iOS privacy option to prevent apps tracking you across third party apps and websites and as such just adds an additional layer of security but, it is a new feature for macOS because it covers all macOS apps not just browsers, like AdGuard for macOS.

I have had the feature switched on on all my devices since and have not noted any connectivity problems or site issues. So, if you are already an Express VPN user by all means give it a try, if not then it may be an additional deciding factor in choosing a VPN. Bear in mind Express is not the only VPN looking into including features like this. These days just changing your IP address simply is not adequate protection.

To read more check out the article here; What is ExpressVPN's new Threat Manager and what does it do?

PS. I am not in any way affiliated with Express VPN

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Rod,

I have Express VPN, but can't find the setting you mentioned in Preferences. AFAIK, my version is the latest.

I am talking about VPN on my iMac.

How do I initiate it?

Ian

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Just to check this is Version 10.15.0 (63183) and as you can see below there is a tab in preferences called Threat Manager.

Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 6.56.52 pm.png

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Got it, Rod. I must have an older version, though for the life of me, I can't find how to check for updates. They appear to do them automatically from time to time.

No problem. I'll wait. No rush. Thanks Rod.

No sooner opened the app and found the thing you have to do first to get to the update. Update now installed.

Ian

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad you found it. It seems to be one of those, can’t do any harm might even do some good, things. I did try AdGuard for macOS some years ago, it requires a lot of setting up as with other DNS filters and they are usually by subscription.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.