Export Images from Mac Photos

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone 13
I would like to copy/download/export all of my images, in their albums, from Mac Photos on my iMac into an ext HD.

I want that ext HD to be capable of displaying those images on other devices such as PCs and TVs as well as on Macs. I'm sure I have done it before and I've got an old ext HD formatted ExFAT with, what appears to be, an old import from Photos with all of the pictures in their own albums but I'm blowed if I can remember how I did it!

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Well, one way is to open Photos, open an album, Select ALL of the images and then click "File/Export" and export them. Repeat for the next album. Put each album in a separate folder on the destination.

I don't think it can be done all at once for all albums.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Peter

Nice to see you again.

Moving your entire Photos Library to an EHD is straightforward:

But is that enough for your needs? What I mean is that you want to view the total contents on various devices. I think that should work - certainly for another Mac, but I'm not certain about PCs and your TV.

EDIT: Just read Jake's post which he was typing as I prepared mine. Jake's method might get round the problem of not having an app to read & display the library contents??

Ian

OP
pine man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone 13
Hi Both

I've got about 8000 photos in about 80+ albums and I was pretty sure I didn't have to fiddle around with them after the export BUT I have been fiddling since I posted the issue and here's what I came up with.

I formatted the ext HD ExFat. Then I went to Photos and selected 'My Albums', which listed all of the 80+ albums contained within it, Next I selected File/Export/Export Folder in Photos and, in the pop-up window under 'File Naming', I selected 'Use Title' for the File Name and "None' for the Sub Folder Format. I hit export and selected the Ext HD in Finder and let it rip! The ext HD now contains a list of all the Named albums each containing all of it's images. It takes quite a long time but seems to have worked fine.

Thanks to both of you for replying and now I must keep these instructions somewhere so I will know how to do it next time - if I can remember where I put them!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Thanks for posting back. I learned something today!

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.