EVEA E-Geforce 8800GT

Reaction score
Hey I'm back with another problem.. hah,

To Recap, I have a Intel Based Mac Pro from July 2008

You can get more info on my Mac here, Here a previous thread.

I just recieved this card in the mail, and I am just wondering what is known about it. I put it in and I still have a kernel panic, but I am hoping its a driver error as this is advertised as a compatible card. I read somthing about these cards need to be "flashed"?

If anyone's got an opinion on what I can do I would really appreciate it.

8800GTMacPro.jpg

OP
nickmenes
Reaction score
And how can I update my drivers ( os , videocard(?), and firmware ), while I have a kernel panic plaguing me every time I boot. I can boot the os x disc, but I already have a later version installed. My dads got a macbook pro so theres always the possibility of target mode.

ask me if you need more information...
thanks....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
I don't think you can just pull PC videocards out and put them in a Mac Pro...

OP
nickmenes
Reaction score
no you are absolutley right about that...

What happened is the ebayer I bought this card off of ( who had a very good rating with lots of sales ), was displaying a picture of an Apple nVidia 8800GT, for a good price, so I jumped on it... And what I end up getting is a "flashed" version of a PC 8800GT (from my understanding). Which is hogwash, but if I can get this to work, I wouldnt be too dissapointed. I have emailed him asking if he has any genuine ones left.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You really need to get a genuine card factory setup and blown for OS X. Flashed cards are a toss up. Sometimes they work, sometimes not. If you're experiencing KPs, it's most likely because of the card.

Tell the seller that you need a genuine card for your Mac Pro not a flashed one. And if he doesn't have a genuine card, to refund your money.

Regards.

OP
nickmenes
Reaction score
Thanks ^^, I agree its very possible that the KP's are from the flashed card... but I was having them before with my other 8800GT, which was eventually blown out... I read elsewhere that somtimes crashes on leopard or windows can just stop you from being able to boot but there solutions were limited..

I am waiting for an email from him, but until then I would like too see if I can get it working.. Windows boots so the card isn't necessarily "dead"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.