"Error trying to connect to Airport Network X.X.X.X"

OP
B
Reaction score
yah i know but i messed up something doing the file thingy, now it doesnt recognize my airprot and everytime i turn on my macbook it gives me an error so im gonna restore it today, and not gonna do any update untill apple fix it

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
yah i know but i messed up something doing the file thingy, now it doesnt recognize my airprot and everytime i turn on my macbook it gives me an error so im gonna restore it today, and not gonna do any update untill apple fix it

I had that happen once, but I re-extracted the file from the OSX 10.4.8 update and re-copied it and all was well. There was something about the file it didn't like apparently.

OP
B
Reaction score
yah i tried doing that but it didnt let me, anyways i restored my mac, and its up and running again, but at first it was giving me the same network error,but now is working fine.

btw it doesnt delete ur bootcamp partition

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13'' 2ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 gig of ram, 6x Superdrive
There are apparently some flaws with the latest wireless update and third-party wireless routers which has been confirmed in Apple's own support forums. I too had a similar problem that could only be resolved by reverting back to the old driver. This process is detailed in this thread. I also had some limited success switching my router over to WPA2 instead of WPA, but I found that it was still not totally reliable and ended up going back to the original driver.

The link in that page leads to macfixit, and no membership

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The link in that page leads to macfixit, and no membership

Just in case you missed my response on the other thread:

That wasn't protected content when I looked at it. I don't have membership either - didn't realize it was necessary. Fortunately, the process is very straightforward.

1. Download the Mac OS X 10.4.8 update from Apple's support site.
2. Download Pacifist (used for extracting files from the package).
3. Mount the OS X 10.4.8 update DMG file.
4. Open Pacifist
5. Drag the .pkg file from the DMG file and drop it onto the Pacifist window.
6. Click the triangle next to System, go to Library, go to Extensions and then drag and drop IO80211Family.kext to your desktop
7. Open Macintosh HD and browse to System -> Library -> Extensions.
8. Drag and drop the IO80211Family.kext file from your desktop into the Extensions folder.
9. You will get an error message, be sure to click on 'Authenticate'. You'll be prompted for your password and then the file will replace the existing.

Reboot your Mac and you'll find that you're now back on the old driver. To confirm this, run Software Updates and you'll notice that it wants to install the 2007-001 update (don't do it!).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just in case you missed my response on the other thread:

That wasn't protected content when I looked at it. I don't have membership either - didn't realize it was necessary. Fortunately, the process is very straightforward.

1. Download the Mac OS X 10.4.8 update from Apple's support site.
2. Download Pacifist (used for extracting files from the package).
3. Mount the OS X 10.4.8 update DMG file.
4. Open Pacifist
5. Drag the .pkg file from the DMG file and drop it onto the Pacifist window.
6. Click the triangle next to System, go to Library, go to Extensions and then drag and drop IO80211Family.kext to your desktop
7. Open Macintosh HD and browse to System -> Library -> Extensions.
8. Drag and drop the IO80211Family.kext file from your desktop into the Extensions folder.
9. You will get an error message, be sure to click on 'Authenticate'. You'll be prompted for your password and then the file will replace the existing.

Reboot your Mac and you'll find that you're now back on the old driver. To confirm this, run Software Updates and you'll notice that it wants to install the 2007-001 update (don't do it!).
do you have the download link?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no!!!

I followed the instructions to the letter, and now it doesn't see my Airport at all help!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
restore

i think im gonna restore my macky to Feb 5, anyone know how?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I followed the instructions to the letter, and now it doesn't see my Airport at all help!!!!

Are you getting any error messages? What kind of encryption are you using?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you getting any error messages? What kind of encryption are you using?
No, i mean my Macbook isn't detecting that i have wireless installed in my computer!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Weird

Ok, so i did something really weird.

In my desperation to get my wireless to even respond again, i reinstalled the update that started it all, and it fixed it!!! but...

since right now im not in a place that i can test the wireless, i cant tell for sure that its working.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, so i did something really weird.

In my desperation to get my wireless to even respond again, i reinstalled the update that started it all, and it fixed it!!! but...

since right now im not in a place that i can test the wireless, i cant tell for sure that its working.

You're the second poster now that has had a problem with this procedure. Since you now have the updated driver installed, my guess is that something is different between your machine and mine. I've had zero trouble with this since I did it.

For now I would warn anyone reading this thread that this process is apparently flawed in some way, so exercise caution if you intend to try it.

My recommendation at this point is that if you find that you're able to connect to your router, but are still having intermittent connectivity problems, try switching off WPA and go with WEP or WPA2 and see if that makes any difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was able to fix it by turning off encryption entirely

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was able to fix it by turning off encryption entirely

Just don't forget that now your network is wide open. If the 13-year-old next door wants to start using your connection to send spam or host a server, he can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just don't forget that now your network is wide open. If the 13-year-old next door wants to start using your connection to send spam or host a server, he can.

That's why I use WPA-PSK, and now i have no problems

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's why I use WPA-PSK, and now i have no problems

OK, I'm confused - you had said that you weren't using any encryption in the post I replied to/quoted. WPA-PSK is a type of encryption.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.