eMac green hue

Reaction score
I have an eMac that has a defect with the display. Around the edges of the left side, there's a hue of green. Also, there is a little dot of it on the bottom right hand corner. Someone I know has an eMac with a LOT brighter display, so this hue affects the color too. So, I need my color saturation back and the BRIGHTNESS! (It looks sort gray and dull.) So, I'm stumped. Can anyone help?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What you're seeing can be caused by several things:

1. The display has become magnetized - sometimes happens when you place speakers too close to it. I'm not familiar with the eMac and don't know how well the display is shielded around the mask. Most of the time this type of magnetism can be removed by using a portable TV degausser.

2. The display itself is defective. The green hue might be due to bad pixels. The small dot of green at the right hand corner is probably also a bad pixel.

Not much you can do if the display itself is defective. You might be better off replacing the eMac with a Mac Mini and an inexpensive LCD display rather than trying to repair it.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
You may find that the discolouration (as I prefer to call it) is part of the eMac monitor getting a little warm. My eMac has two discoloured patches at either side that are more noticeable when the machine is hot, (as opposed to warm).

If you don't do so already, shut your eMac down at regular intervals to allow it to cool, and shut it off completely overnight. I've found that helps minimise the display fault.

Chscag is right about replacement or repair, not really an economic option. However, you might find a disused or deceased eMac that has a fully functioning CRT display to replace the one you have. Not a job for the faint-hearted by the way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.