Editing music on old iPod Touch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mini, MB Air (Early 2015), iMac (mid 2010),Touch (32G)
I pulled out a Gen3 Touch and I'd like to edit the music I have on there. Back when I used it regularly I was using iTunes on my old mid 2010 iMac. Now I have a new Mini, w/ 13.5, and only have Apple Music. The Touch has the latest upgrade.

I can't figure a way to delete songs (or whole albums) from the Touch. I was able to add an album, but can't delete. I've tried using my Mini and Apple Music and I've tried just deleting from the Touch.

I tried deleting from inside AM, but while I can highlight and hit delete, nothing happens. I tried going into the Touch from Finder, but it seems to take me back into AM. Again I can highlight and go up to Edit, but Delete is greyed out.

Might you folks have some clues how I can delete from my Touch w/ AM?

Thanks as always.

Last edited:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Plug the Touch to the Mac Mini and check in Finder and you should see it show up. Now select it and go to the Music tab and unselect all playlists/songs which should reveal that music is taking up no space on the Touch. When you sync, that will essentially clear all the music.

Now you can select a new playlist and sync again to get new music on there.

Update: I have an old 7th gen iPod Nano that I hadn't used for a while since it was freaking out the last time I tried to use it. I plugged it into my MBA running Sonoma again and was able to get it working.

So the updated instructions from above is once plugged in, within Finder, select the Touch and you should see the Manage Storage button that allows you to select just the music and delete it.

SCR-20240213-jbwf.png

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.