easiest way of combining mp3 files into one long file?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Catalina 10.15.3
l am a newbie, and just want to know the simplest way to combine mp3 files into one long music or podcast file, from my external HD. imovie or audacity? l think one requires itunes, which l am not familiar with and rather just choose the m3 files the easiest way, my desktop or external hd. thanks for suggestions..

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Use Audacity and do:
  1. Import both files into Audacity.
  2. Select the second one by clicking on its label (the area around the mute/solo buttons).
  3. From the Edit menu, choose Cut.
  4. Place the cursor by clicking in the first track, after the end of the audio.
  5. From the Edit menu, click Paste.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Audacity is one option anti will get the job done for free. Personally, I find the interface abominable.

Here's how to accomplish this task using QuickTime Player which is already on your Mac) This process will work with just about any file that QuickTime Player can open (audio or video).

1. Open the first file that you want to work with.
2. From the QuickTime Player Edit menu choose Add Clip to End.

IIRC you can repeat this process multiple times if you want to combine several files into one file. Once you have combined all the files you want to combine, you can save the file by choosing Export from the File menu.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Catalina 10.15.3
Audacity is one option anti will get the job done for free. Personally, I find the interface abominable.

Here's how to accomplish this task using QuickTime Player which is already on your Mac) This process will work with just about any file that QuickTime Player can open (audio or video).

1. Open the first file that you want to work with.
2. From the QuickTime Player Edit menu choose Add Clip to End.

IIRC you can repeat this process multiple times if you want to combine several files into one file. Once you have combined all the files you want to combine, you can save the file by choosing Export from the File menu.
thanks so much, make me feel like an artist now! l also dont like audacity's interface, seems so complicated. thanks again!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're welcome. I hope you find that tip useful.

krs

Reaction score
Yes....the interface of Audacity is not the greatest, but the more I use it the more comfortable I get using it.
I'm impressed with some of the capabilities - two I used recently were:
1. Speed up a lengthy narrative without changing the pitch. I could increase the speed by a factor of 4 and even faster and still follow the narrative with no problems
2. Remove background noise by selecting a sample of the repetitive annoying background noise and then filtering that out. Worked very well also.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've been using Amadeus Pro for years instead of Audacity (since the G3 PowerPC days). It'd not free but I've only paid for updates two or three times when there have been major changes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.