early 2014 MBA - thunderbolt use suggestions

hglez86

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum and to apple computers; I have tried searching in the forum, but my question is either too uncommon or about such an old computer that I can't find anything similar. Thank you in advance for any help you guys might be able to give.

I came upon an early 2014 MacBook air with OS X 10.5.9 or 10.9.5, I can't remember anymore. It was free because it was nearly useless. I have finally updated OS X to 11.7.1, which according to my research it's as good as it's going to get for this laptop. It now functions really good, but being new to apple computers, I don't know what to do with the Thunderbolt port. It either has thunderbolt 1 or 2 (apple just says 1 and 2 for this laptop and other websites say 1).

I really don't know what to do with that port. I have been searching and searching for accessories I can get and everything is for thunderbolt 3 or 4, or mini display, which from what I see is not the same as Thunderbolt. Also, everything seems to be about displays. Could someone suggest some good uses for Thunderbolt 1 or 2, and maybe the actual accessories? Again thanks in advance for your time and help.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Visit the site Mac Specs, Prices, Answers and Comparison: EveryMac.com, Est. 1996 and put in your specific year and model to get all the details of your Mac.

Your vintage mac has 2 USB 3.0 ports not thunderbolt. The thunderbolt port that is compatible with display standards like DVI, HDMI and so on. You can also plug in other devices that conform to the TB standard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.