Early 2011 MBP: hardware upgrade worth it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Nick - did you call them? The webpage told me I was not qualified either. When I called them it was a different story.

No I didn't. I was trusting what the webpage said. I have had other Apple products that were involved in these sort of special repair programs…and the webpage for the program (and the link to check if a specific device qualified via serial #)…as always reliable.

Interesting that you got a different answer when you called. But so far…it seems that the actual Apple testing that was done to your computer (so far) matched what the webpage link told you (your computer is not part of the repair program).

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Interesting - I had not read of the video issues with the 2011 model until now. My previous, a 2008 model 15" MBP with NVIDIA GPU had a similar issue and a similar warranty extension.

For what it's worth, I purchased my 2011 15" MBP within weeks of it being announced. It's been a real trooper the entire time I've had it (and it's used at a minimum, 8 hours per day, every day). It doesn't struggle with anything I've thrown at it -- and its modern successor models pretty much suck, so I intend to keep it until the proverbial wheels fall off...

I would think that if I were going to have GPU trouble, it would have likely happened already. Fingers crossed!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would think that if I were going to have GPU trouble, it would have likely happened already. Fingers crossed!

Exactly what I was thinking Chris with the total hours your 2011 15" MBP has on it!:)

I guess if you were a glutton for punishment…you could check your computer in this link:

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

The repair program ends mid-February, 2016.

- Nick

M

MacInWin

That link has never returned any information for me on the Graphics card. All it does is to say that there is a valid purchase date and that my system is out of warranty. That I knew already. It has NEVER mentioned the graphics card, ever.

The repair program ends at the end of Feb, not mid-Feb, according to Apple.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That link has never returned any information for me on the Graphics card. All it does is to say that there is a valid purchase date and that my system is out of warranty. That I knew already. It has NEVER mentioned the graphics card, ever.

This is what it says when I check as well. I think only if a unit falls within the specific serial number range for the repair program identified by Apple will it say anything additional.

The repair program ends at the end of Feb, not mid-Feb, according to Apple.

My mistake:eek:…I must have been thinking of something else!;) Thanks for the correction. Program ends Feb 27th, 2016.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
No I didn't. I was trusting what the webpage said. I have had other Apple products that were involved in these sort of special repair programs…and the webpage for the program (and the link to check if a specific device qualified via serial #)…as always reliable.

Interesting that you got a different answer when you called. But so far…it seems that the actual Apple testing that was done to your computer (so far) matched what the webpage link told you (your computer is not part of the repair program).

- Nick

Actually, my 2011 did have a serial number that was on the potential problem recall list. The person on the phone did check the serial number for me and said it was and me told I was eligible for the recall. From what the genius at the Apple store told me, they have to reproduce the issue or have it fail one of there Video Stress Tests. The second one is a 24 hour test. My girl did not fail the test so no replacement board. But if before February 27th I can take a picture of a bad screen, they will replace it since they have a record of me reporting the issue.

At this point I am not worrying about it. It was a brief flash of columns of lines and then it was fine. If it dies that would give me an excuse to look at the new Skylake MBP's right??? ;D O:)

Lisa

M

MacInWin

This is what it says when I check as well. I think only if a unit falls within the specific serial number range for the repair program identified by Apple will it say anything additional.
...CLIP

- Nick
Ah, so the absence of anything is the affirmation of nothing. Kind of existential thinking, eh?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, so the absence of anything is the affirmation of nothing. Kind of existential thinking, eh?

Yes…sort of a…"If it doesn't exist…no need to worry." Or…"Ignorance is Bliss!";)

- Nick

p.s. Lisa's experience seems to be a bit different (not sure if Lisa sees the same thing we have seen via the special repair webpage).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My girl did not fail the test so no replacement board. But if before February 27th I can take a picture of a bad screen, they will replace it since they have a record of me reporting the issue.

It is very difficult sometimes to replicate a problem that is infrequent at best (if you knew how to duplicate it…of course you would be able to show Apple).

If I was an OCD sort of person (which I can be when it comes to my computers working properly). I would probably run the computer from a "fresh" HD or SSD (freshly reformatted)…and install a "virgin" copy of the OS. This way any interference's from rogue utilities, apps, or any other user customization software could be ruled out as much as possible. Then if the video issue occurs…hopefully it is a hardware issue.

Too bad you weren't able to let Apple run the 24 hour stress test. I know that you probably wanted to avoid a 2nd long trip to the Apple Store.

Roughly 5 weeks left to make this computer "puke-up" a video issue (if it has one)!;)

Good luck,

- Nick

M

MacInWin

Ah, Nick, sort of a, "These aren't the droids you seek," kind of result. Now I get it. I just have to channel Yoda...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is very difficult sometimes to replicate a problem that is infrequent at best (if you knew how to duplicate it…of course you would be able to show Apple).

If I was an OCD sort of person (which I can be when it comes to my computers working properly). I would probably run the computer from a "fresh" HD or SSD (freshly reformatted)…and install a "virgin" copy of the OS. This way any interference's from rogue utilities, apps, or any other user customization software could be ruled out as much as possible. Then if the video issue occurs…hopefully it is a hardware issue.

Too bad you weren't able to let Apple run the 24 hour stress test. I know that you probably wanted to avoid a 2nd long trip to the Apple Store.

Roughly 5 weeks left to make this computer "puke-up" a video issue (if it has one)!;)

Good luck,

- Nick

I let them do the 24 hour test. I left it Thursday and got it back on Monday. I made the two trips in below zero wind blowing weather. The MBP passed... so I hope that turns out to be good news. The fun part of the second trip was taking my husband with me. He had never been to an Apple store or anything even close to it. Let's just say he looked a bit wide eyed. :D Between the interesting array of employees to all the shiny apple products it was a lot for him to take in.

Lisa

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I let them do the 24 hour test. I left it Thursday and got it back on Monday.

The MBP passed... so I hope that turns out to be good news.

I guess I got confused. I thought you went to the Apple Store once…Apple ran a shorter test only…and you elected not to do the 24 hour test at that time. You mentioned a 24 hour test earlier. Is there one or two 24 hour tests? if just one 24 hour test…are there any additional tests Apple can do…or have they done them all?

The fun part of the second trip was taking my husband with me. He had never been to an Apple store or anything even close to it. Let's just say he looked a bit wide eyed. :D Between the interesting array of employees to all the shiny apple products it was a lot for him to take in.

The Apple Store is an interesting place. I've probably been to about 10 Apple Stores in various cities & states. And the one thing that's the same in every store (other than the layout of the store)…is the eclectic group of employees. It's like going to a trendy nightclub…where the doorman only lets in the "pretty & interesting" people!!!;) Ha Ha.

I'm pretty sure Apple encourages this sort of eclecticism.;) And Apple definitely encourages & supports diversity.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick - sorry for the confusion. They did an initial test for 10 minutes while I was there for the first visit on Thursday. I left her with them for a 24 hour test on Thursday. I got a call on Monday saying she had passed the in depth 24 Hour test and to come get her. Was told to keep an eye out for future issues and take a picture if it reoccured.

As to the Apple employees - I did see one gentleman who was older than me, which gives me hope for future potential employment if I ever have to move on from my current place of employment. Although I don't think you can look at customers and say things like, "What were you thinking? Oh,right, you obviously weren't!" That could be a deal breaker! :*

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.