Early 2008 Mac Pro fried GPU

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ok...thanks again for all that info!:)

I totally understand (now) what you mean that you were relying on what others you spoke with that the video card was bad. But...again...if the info you told them was inaccurate...they could come to an inaccurate conclusion.;)

From the photos you included...things look fine.:)

One thing you can do with the video card when "quirky" things happen is...remove the video card...then reseat it. Sometimes the video card can wiggle loose (especially if the computer has been moved). Never know...worth a try.

Now onto the hard drive. Are you saying that you can no longer boot the computer from the original HD (I guess from your posts this HD was in slot/bay #1).

If this is true...doesn't it seems strange to you that you have a "potential" video card problem AND a hard drive problem at the same time?? Statistically...unless this computer got zapped by an electrical problem/thunderstorm...it is very very very unlikely that these two things would happen at the same time.

If you can no longer boot from an HD that you could previously...then I'm thinking that the HD is the problem at this point.

Back to those disks you have. There should be two of them. One should be an OS install disk...and the other is the AHD disk (Apple Hardware Diagnostics). And they should be gray colored. And again as I mentioned earlier...they MUST be from this computer. If not...they most likely won't work.

If these disks are from this computer...then this computer most definitely should boot from each of them. Since you ran the diagnostics test (I'm assuming from one of the gray disks)...is this true? Then that would prove that your DVD drive is good.

The other gray disk (the OS install disk)...is it dirty, scratched, or damaged? If it is...this could be preventing the computer from using it.

Also...have you ever done a firmware update on this computer? If so...I'm thinking MAYBE...a firmware update could MAYBE cause an issue reading that disk. Just a theory.

As far as the Snow Leopard disk you ordered. There really should be no problems booting from it...as long as the computer itself (the logic board or DVD drive) are free from issues. If there is an HD problem...that would not effect booting from a DVD.

Lots of stuff to consider here.:)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Well that sounds positive. I had already removed, cleaned and reseated the card. The disks are the right ones and I did run diagnostics off of the 1st disc, but the computer won't boot from either of them; they are both in fairly good shape. As for firmware, I hadn't done anything out of the ordinary prior to having this issue. Yes, the original HD was in slot 1. Could I buy a cable (type?) and start the Pro in Target Disk mode and install OS X 5.1 from the original discs using a MacBook Pro as the DVD drive?

Thanks again!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The disks are the right ones and I did run diagnostics off of the 1st disc, but the computer won't boot from either of them; they are both in fairly good shape.

Ok...a bit of confusion here. If you cannot boot the computer from either disk (which you should)...this indicates a problem to me.

Not a problem with the DVD/optical drive (since you were able to run the diagnostics from one of the disks)...but a problem with the discs. If you cannot boot this computer from either of these disks...then I'm thinking these are not the correct disks. Again...statistically...this just isn't going to happen at the same time with both disks...if they are the correct disks.

Or am I wrong...and the diagnostics test was NOT run from one of the gray disks?

AND (confusion #2)...I thought that you couldn't boot from ANY hard drive. Since the original one (from slot #1) wasn't working correctly. AND you were not able to install an OS on a 2nd HD..since you couldn't boot from the gray disks.

You must have booted the computer from something to run the diagnostics test. And if it wasn't the gray DVD that was booted from (which you said will not boot either gray DVD)...then this computer must have been booting from something.

Maybe I'm getting mixed up with all the details.;)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
I did run the diagnostic test from the 1st of the two discs, but I'm not sure the computer really boots up in the complete sense to run the diagnostic. When I try to boot up fully from the disc, no go. I know it sounds confusing... The diagnostic option is available when starting from grey disc holding "d"; when starting from grey disc holding "c" it shuts down, and if I hold option and choose the grey disk, the computer freezes.
Diagnostics from disc = YES... Boot from disc = NO. I did come across one person who said his discs were faulty, so that may be the case. They must be the right discs because they say Mac Pro 2008, and this is the only Mac Pro I've ever had or used. When I have the original HD in slot 1 the computer sounds like it boots but just shows the Orange screen... so its like the computer is ready but I can't see the desktop. Yeah, I'm confused, too.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did run the diagnostic test from the 1st of the two discs, but I'm not sure the computer really boots up in the complete sense to run the diagnostic. When I try to boot up fully from the disc, no go. I know it sounds confusing... The diagnostic option is available when starting from grey disc holding "d"; when starting from grey disc holding "c" it shuts down, and if I hold option and choose the grey disk, the computer freezes.

For the "diagnostics" disk...this IS the equivalent of booting from the disk. The diagnostics disk only contains the diagnostic test info...so it is designed to directly "boot" into the diagnostics program.

As far as booting from the other DVD (the OS install disk)...this doesn't make any sense. It really should boot from it. If it's not damaged...and the correct disk fo rthis computer.

They must be the right discs because they say Mac Pro 2008, and this is the only Mac Pro I've ever had or used.

Yes that would seem to mean the correct disks for this computer. Did you purchase this computer brand new...or did you purchase it used?

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
I purchased the computer brand new.

Disc One reads:

Mac Pro
Mac OS X Install Disc 1

To start up from Mac OS X,
hold down the C key as the
computer starts up.

To use Apple Hardware Test,
hold down the D key as the
computer starts up.

Disc Two reads:

Mac OS X Install Disc 2

Both also state: This software is part of a hardware bundle purchase - not to be sold separately.

I guess I'll try them a few more times.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Steve did you ever get around to installing the PC graphics card and trying that?

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you for asking. Yes, I did. The computer sounded like it booted (minus the boot screen, which I heard is normal when using a PC card), but the display never came on. I think a newer card just brings more trouble to the mix due to the fact that they all require a more up-to-date OS.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I purchased the computer brand new.

Ok…just wanted to verify if you purchased it new or used.

I'm thinking at this point we have to wait for that Snow Leopard disk to arrive.

Or…if you are REALLY in a hurry…and have a 2nd Mac (or access to one)…you can purchase & download OS 10.7 or 10.8 (or 10.9 for free) from the Mac App Store. Then make a bootable USB stick that you would be able to use to boot & install the OS on your Mac Pro.

The model of your Mac Pro determines how recent of an OS you can install.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Apparently the early 2008 Mac Pro (3,1) will handle Mavericks, but the steps to create a bootable USB stick seem a little overwhelming. I should say, the steps are easy enough to follow, but when both computers involved have so much data that could potentially be lost, and the laptop isn't mine to begin with, this guy starts to get nervous. I think I'll wait for the Snow Leopard disk to arrive, and go from there. If that works, then it's only my own data that I need to back up.

Thanks again!

Steve

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apparently the early 2008 Mac Pro (3,1) will handle Mavericks, but the steps to create a bootable USB stick seem a little overwhelming.

It's really not difficult or "dangerous" at all. Only a suggestion…just in case you were super-concerned…and wanted/needed a definitive answer ASAP!:)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Okay, perhaps I was a bit hasty reading through the procedure and got a bit spooked... I appreciate the suggestion and I will consider that option for sure!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, perhaps I was a bit hasty reading through the procedure and got a bit spooked... I appreciate the suggestion and I will consider that option for sure!

Don't wait too long...or the Snow Leopard disk will arrive first!;)

But seriously. If we can get your Mac Pro running again...it's really a great idea to have/make a bootable USB backup of whatever downloadable Mac OS you decide to upgrade further to (10.7, 10.8, or 10.9).:)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Don't wait too long...or the Snow Leopard disk will arrive first!;)

But seriously. If we can get your Mac Pro running again...it's really a great idea to have/make a bootable USB backup of whatever downloadable Mac OS you decide to upgrade further to (10.7, 10.8, or 10.9).:)

- Nick

Indeed. I've learned my lesson! Like I said in an earlier post, I've never been neglectful of my computer, I updated until Apple didn't provide any more direct updates; at that point, I figured if everything was running as I liked, updating the OS was simply a matter of preference or people's general need for the latest and greatest at any cost. Now I'm all about updating and backing up!

Reaction score
Also, does booting from a Snow Leopard DVD require a fully functioning computer running Leopard 10.5.8, or will it boot directly to Snow Leopard 10.6 assuming the GTX 650ti is compatible. If this is the case, I suspect my best bet would be to locate a used GeForce 8800GT to bring my computer, with its current OS, back to life, and then immediately upgrade to Snow Leopard, then Lion, then Mountain Lion, then Mavericks, and then find a GPU that is more reliable. In my case, its as though the nature of the problem precludes a solution... I guess the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" way of thinking came back to bite me. From now on its upgrade, upgrade, and upgrade some more!

Thanks again for your help, Harry. Much appreciated!

You are not in the UK by any chance (I don't think you are as you used $ sign) but in case you are I can send you an 8800GT (mac version) that I have kicking around.

Best

Lloyd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For what it is worth there are two versions of the 8800GT. The first release works with the 3.1, the second with erlier 1.1 and 2.1 models.

OP
M
Reaction score
You are not in the UK by any chance (I don't think you are as you used $ sign) but in case you are I can send you an 8800GT (mac version) that I have kicking around.

Best

Lloyd

No, I'm not in the U.K., but thank you so much for the offer, Lloyd!

I am happy to report that I am typing this message on my Mac Pro which I now have up and running! I managed to get ahold of a Radeon HD 4780 which allowed me to finally boot from my original 10.5.1 DVD. Once booted, the computer informed me that it could not repair my original HD and to back it up, which I did immediately. It looks as though I did have graphics card and HD trouble at the same time. I subsequently loaded Snow Leopard 10.6.1 and then promptly upgraded that to 10.6.8. I can now upgrade to Mavericks, but I've heard bad things. After all this trouble, I want to be as current as possible with my OS, but if Mavericks is as problematic as I've heard, I may just upgrade to Mountain Lion and then buy a new computer the next time I have problems. I know a six year old machine is pushing it already.

I want to take this opportunity to thank all of you for being so generous with your time and expertise.

Best,

Steve

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am happy to report that I am typing this message on my Mac Pro which I now have up and running!

Awesome...glad to hear you got things running!:)

I can now upgrade to Mavericks, but I've heard bad things.

If you search the internet on just about ANY topic...you can "hear bad things". I bet that if you did some internet searching...you could find "good things" as well!:)

Remember...folks that are happy with something don't complain or need help. Mostly...only folks that have a problem are the ones doing the posting (of bad things). And remember...the "bad things"...can be problems misinterpreted by folks (not everyone is a computer expert). So in a lot of cases...Mavericks (incorrectly) gets blamed.

All I can say is...for one bad thing you hear about Mavericks...there are probably 1000 people happy. AND...why else would probably 95%+ be pleased with Mavericks here on Mac-forums??

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Be careful interpreting "bad things" on the internet. In many cases (at least when it comes to Mavericks)...for every one problem/complaint...there are probably 500-1000 happy folks (who aren't posting on the internet)!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just ignore anything on the net. Mavericks is fast and rock steady. Be aware after you leave Snow Leopard any PowerPC applications such as Office 2004, will not work. Intel only.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.