E-readers... Ipad vs nook vs kindle

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
If all you want is an E-Reader there is only one choice. Kindle paperwhite.
Low cost, lightweight, simple to use and does the job brilliantly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, OSX 10.8.5, 2.5 GHz Intel core i5 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - I also have an iPad Air.
This is very interesting because I was able to de-register my nook when it began behaving strangely and the tech person helping me suggested I do that, which worked out well. At that time I didn't have my iPad yet. I love the nook for its lightweight feature, and it's easy to use.

The iPad is really awesome, with all it's capabilities, though heavier than the nook, but the nook is made of plastic. I thought I read somewhere that Apple plans on making an all-glass product, maybe it was the iPad, but I don't remember exactly. It's amazing that glass can be made so thin and light. The problem with that is, it's still fragile and I've seen a few accounts of screen breakage, but accidents happen, even with the most careful handling. I had a mishap with mine, but thankfully it wasn't damaged.

For now I'll stick with my iPad till the coverage on it expires, then see what's available and decide what I want. I'll hang onto my Nook till it doesn't work anymore, too.

The main problem with the e-readers and tablets, as with so many electronics, is their proprietary nature. How much trouble do people have, for example, buying a book that may be a different format from a company that's different from the one the e-reader or tablet was made by? I remember reading something about Kindle and ePub, maybe it was not supported.

I'm glad to see the different responses and experiences, it's all very interesting and helpful. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Well the OP certainly got all kinds of recommendations. It really depends on preferences. Does the OP have a library of Nook books or Kindle books? That would determine the choice of a nook or a kindle. If that is not an issue and given the cost factor, I would recommend the Kindle. Why? They are more reliable. This is based on my own reading of reviews. There is also the added advantage of a free lending library available to kindle owners. The nook may offer that too but I am unfamiliar with it.

Lisa

C

chas_m

Nook is essentially out of business. As are most others (Sony, Kobo, etc) and of course their problem (same with the Kindle) is that they are locked to one book-selling store and no other.

This essentially leaves two options: a dedicated e-reader (of which pretty much the only one left standing is the Kindle Paperwhite), or a tablet (iPad/iPad mini, Nexus, Note, Kindle Fire, and about a million gone-tomorrow lesser brands)

The Paperwhite is a fine dedicated e-reader that can (barely) manage a few other things, but is locked to Amazon's store. This is the same problem with the Kindle Fire, though as a full tablet its more versatile than the Paperwhite of course.

So this leaves "real" tablets like the Note, the Nexus, the iPad. To the best of my knowledge, apps available for these devices allow you to buy and read (separately within the apps) books from basically anywhere, starting with the public library and going through every proprietary or open "e-bookstore," including Amazon.

This allows one the greatest versatility and lowest risk on investment, so to me a tablet (in addition to the millions of other features it offers) is a great choice for e-reading except where access to electricity is extremely scarce (the Paperwhite's primary distinguishing feature -- e-ink uses far less power than tablets).

So then it comes down to "what's the best tablet?" There is no ONE answer, because there are varying factors, but the iPad, Note and Nexus are always at the top of the list. It's telling that the senior editor of androidpolice.com picked the iPad Air 2 over any Android tablet, in my opinion.

For my own personal use, I need something that works with the Apple eco-system (since that has the most apps and most tablet-specific apps), has one of the best displays, the best customer service, the best security, and (again, for my purposes) is a full-size tablet rather than a mini. For me, that means the iPad, specifically the iPad Air 2. I adore it, and read from it constantly (though I also write a lot on it, using a keyboard case). Your mileage, as they say, may vary.

Reaction score
If all you want is an E-Reader there is only one choice. Kindle paperwhite.
Low cost, lightweight, simple to use and does the job brilliantly.

And readable in daylight.

We are not all troglodytes.

Reaction score
As much as I love my iPod I really find that quite unbelievable…

…unless broad daylight in Victoria is some kind of Stygian gloom with which I am completely unfamiliar.

But then I do live in a clime of bright blue skies and endless sunny outlook. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, OSX 10.8.5, 2.5 GHz Intel core i5 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - I also have an iPad Air.
Nook is essentially out of business. As are most others (Sony, Kobo, etc) and of course their problem (same with the Kindle) is that they are locked to one book-selling store and no other.

This essentially leaves two options: a dedicated e-reader (of which pretty much the only one left standing is the Kindle Paperwhite), or a tablet (iPad/iPad mini, Nexus, Note, Kindle Fire, and about a million gone-tomorrow lesser brands)

The Paperwhite is a fine dedicated e-reader that can (barely) manage a few other things, but is locked to Amazon's store. This is the same problem with the Kindle Fire, though as a full tablet its more versatile than the Paperwhite of course.

So this leaves "real" tablets like the Note, the Nexus, the iPad. To the best of my knowledge, apps available for these devices allow you to buy and read (separately within the apps) books from basically anywhere, starting with the public library and going through every proprietary or open "e-bookstore," including Amazon.

This allows one the greatest versatility and lowest risk on investment, so to me a tablet (in addition to the millions of other features it offers) is a great choice for e-reading except where access to electricity is extremely scarce (the Paperwhite's primary distinguishing feature -- e-ink uses far less power than tablets).

So then it comes down to "what's the best tablet?" There is no ONE answer, because there are varying factors, but the iPad, Note and Nexus are always at the top of the list. It's telling that the senior editor of androidpolice.com picked the iPad Air 2 over any Android tablet, in my opinion.

For my own personal use, I need something that works with the Apple eco-system (since that has the most apps and most tablet-specific apps), has one of the best displays, the best customer service, the best security, and (again, for my purposes) is a full-size tablet rather than a mini. For me, that means the iPad, specifically the iPad Air 2. I adore it, and read from it constantly (though I also write a lot on it, using a keyboard case). Your mileage, as they say, may vary.
hi chas, thank you very much for explaining all that. Wow, so it looks like I got the right product when I bought my iPad Air. It still amazes me, what that thing can do. I was considering a mini, it'd be easier to carry around, but I opted for the bigger size because I saw someplace that the fonts read better. If I could, I would've gone to an Apple store to compare the two.

Thanks to you, I know a little more about e-ink, too; I have been wondering about it for awhile.

Thanks again. :)

Last edited:
C

chas_m

As much as I love my iPod I really find that quite unbelievable…

I apologise, I typed iPod when I meant iPad. Specifically the iPad Air 2, which has a far brighter display and anti-glare coating than previous models. My bad.

…unless broad daylight in Victoria is some kind of Stygian gloom

Only from November to March!! The rest of the time its sunny and beautiful! :)

But then I do live in a clime of bright blue skies and endless sunny outlook. :D

It's true I haven't tested it outdoors in, say, central Florida, though I should get the chance to try it on in LA in due course, which is close enough.

PS. Just wanted to add that even with the improvements, a Kindle Paperwhite (or any e-ink display) probably beats any tablet in direct sunlight, but I still prefer the iPad for various reasons (such as colour) ...

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I love reading

I love my iPad Air

I love reading on my iPad Air

I love being outdoors . . . but

Never have I ever had the slightest desire to read outdoors

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
…and others solve the problem by never wanting to read!

Takes all sorts. :)

I agree . . . reading is a sedentary activity that I relish when I have the time. Outdoors is for running, hiking, swimming, playing fetch with the dog etc.
No doubt, the glare could be an issue to others, but I've never really understood the draw of reading outdoors. My couch or recliner seems much more appropriate . . . and comfortable.

C

chas_m

Never have I ever had the slightest desire to read outdoors

Oh, sometimes I'll sit beneath a tree in the summer and do a little reading, but I have no interest in reading in broad daylight (I'm kind of allergic to it anyway) so I've never quite understood the "but tablets don't work in broad daylight" argument much ... there's this thing called shade, still in plentiful supply, try it some time. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Believe me, you DON'T want to sit outside here in Texas in the Summer time in broad daylight reading from your "whatever". It would only be a matter of which one would burn up first, you or the device you're reading from. :p

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Believe me, you DON'T want to sit outside here in Texas in the Summer time in broad daylight reading from your "whatever". It would only be a matter of which one would burn up first, you or the device you're reading from. :p

Arkansas isn't much better in that regard. Plus, the daylight hours are precious to me. I generally won't read for enjoyment or watch movies when the sun is shining.
Plenty of rainy days or night time hours for that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.