Dual displays

Reaction score
I have latest iMac 27" 5k and trying to extend my screen with late 2012 iMac 27" using lighting adapter to mini display. Also tried using 27"hp monitor using lighting adapter to HDMI. Neither worked nor did target display. Need help.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Before we go any further can we clarify two things:
1. In your post you mention using lightning adapters to connect the other iMac or other monitor. Are you sure about that or do you mean Thunderbolt adapter?
2. What exactly happens when you try to connect? Does the second monitor show up in the Displays preference pane at all? You'll know it does because the "Arrangement" tab will appear in the Displays pane. That only happens when a second screen is properly connected and recognized.

OP
G
Reaction score
you are correct Thunderbolt adapter. Nothing shows up in the display property. The arrangement isn't there

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This doesn't work- Been trying target display

According to the Apple document...2012 iMac's don't support Target Display Mode.:(

On the other hand I can't think of a reason why the HP display isn't working. Unless the display is bad or the cable/adapter is bad or incorrect.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have tried two different monitors and cable.

If this is the case...then it's one of at least three things:

- The 5K iMac has a hardware issue.
- There's a setting out of order.
- Some sort of user error.;)

Usually connecting an external monitor to an Apple computer is VERY VERY easy (about as easy plug & play as it gets).:) Which is why it would seem that it could be a hardware issue of some sort (bad monitors, bad cable's, problem with the iMac.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have latest iMac 27" 5k ...

By the way. Is this really a mid-2017 27" iMac that was just released last week? This is the "latest" iMac 27" 5k.

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
yes, it's the one released last week. I even went to the apple store and they couldn't do with their displays. Hopefully it's a glitch and they will have a patch updated.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes, it's the one released last week. I even went to the apple store and they couldn't do with their displays. Hopefully it's a glitch and they will have a patch updated.

Good deal...thanks for clarifying.:)

Wow...the folks at the Apple Store couldn't get it to work either!! What the heck did they say when that happened (couldn't get an external display to work)? If this was the case...that's a pretty serious glitch!

Thanks for sharing,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
the new 2017 iMacs will no longer support Target Display Mode

** hummm…yawn… as another useful Apple "feature" hits the either never-never land of old new features land……

But my apologies, I hadn't realized it had been dropped some years ago:
[quote from Ian's URL above]
Target Display Mode was actually discontinued by Apple on 2014. The 27-inch Retina 5K iMac released in October 2014 was the first model to not support the feature.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What I don't understand is why the Apple store folks were not aware that Apple discontinued Target Display Mode back in 2014? I don't imagine they had other make displays on hand to try out so we still don't know if the OP new iMac has a problem or not. It can't use TDM for sure but it should be able to run an external monitor using the TB ports.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
** hummm…yawn… as another useful Apple "feature" hits the either never-never land of old new features land……

Hey there Patrick. I would agree that it was a nice feature...and a "nice to have" option. But's it's only useful if someone wants to use another iMac as a 2nd display.

I personally always thought that it was a little "goofy" to use the display on a 2nd iMac as a external monitor. Why?:

- Firstly...the number of iMac models capable of this is rather limited.
- Second...the iMac models capable of Target Display Mode are actually still fairly capable computers in their own right.
- Third...if someone has a 2nd fully functional iMac laying around (that they're not using). Sell the darn thing to get as much cash out if it as possible (before it depreciates further)...and purchase a traditional external display for a lot less cash.

As I said...an interesting option...but probably a feature few users were taking advantage of.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I personally always thought that it was a little "goofy" to use the display on a 2nd iMac as a external monitor.

I must admit, I tended to think the same thing.

But if it was just some software and a cable that was needed, why not at least leave it as an option and the user could download any required software to save any general OS X bloat. But we users don't get much options or chances to choose any such choices as to what Apple may do it seems.

- Patrick
======

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But if it was just some software and a cable that was needed, why not at least leave it as an option and the user could download any required software to save any general OS X bloat.

Agreed. If it was just a "software thing"/OS thing...Apple could have left it at least as a optional ability.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
dual display 27" retina issues

have the new 27" 5k and have gone through multiple cables, etc.. tried hooking up in target display to my mid 2010 iMac, no luck, tried with an HP monitor, no luck... saw on apples site they sell an LG 27" thunderbolt 3 compatible monitor... is it really this difficult to hook an additional screen up?
I've used dual monitors for the last 8 years ...
any suggestions/help much appreciated
thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

You should do some more research regarding your 27" 5K iMac. It can not be used in Target Mode - any iMac from 2012 to the newest can not be used in Target mode. As far as attaching another monitor via the TB connection, that's still possible. The LG TB monitor you referred to above was built especially for Apple by LG and can be used as a second display. However, it's rather expensive. And no, it's not difficult to attach a second monitor provided you use the correct cables and a compatible monitor.

Without any particulars regarding the HP monitor and how you tried to attach it and with what cable/adapter, we have no idea why it would not work.

Reaction score
Welcome to our forums.

You should do some more research regarding your 27" 5K iMac. It can not be used in Target Mode - any iMac from 2012 to the newest can not be used in Target mode. As far as attaching another monitor via the TB connection, that's still possible. The LG TB monitor you referred to above was built especially for Apple by LG and can be used as a second display. However, it's rather expensive. And no, it's not difficult to attach a second monitor provided you use the correct cables and a compatible monitor.

Without any particulars regarding the HP monitor and how you tried to attach it and with what cable/adapter, we have no idea why it would not work.

when you say the 27" 5k iMac cannot be used in target mode, do you mean as output to the 2010 iMac that can be used in target mode?
I got off the phone with a person at apple just now and they said that the thunderbolt 3 output to the HP may be too fast for it to handle.
im going to order another combo of connectors and retry. agree with you that the LG is expensive. really appreciate you answering my question, I'm pretty new to forums and Mac products

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.