Dual Channel 1TB Time Capsule on a Budget

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
i wrote this up for someone and thought i would go ahead and post it.

You can actually save even more money then what i have listed if you already have some of this stuff in use.

-

Apple Solution to a 1TB Time Machine Extreme N Router

real simple click here

cost $499

My Solution

1. refurbished Apple Extreme Gigabit N Router with full warranty found here

2. cheap well reviewed G router like this one or you might already have one laying around which is even better.

3. cheap well reviewed USB hub like this one

4. cheap well reviewed external HDD like this one

Non Apple Cost $277 so you saved $222 you could even go to a 2TB HDD and still save over $150. if you happen to already have a G router you saved $245

how to do this?

1. connect your cheap G wireless router from port to port to your extreme and let the extreme hand out the IP address's. set your new gigabit extreme N router to N only and your cheap G to of course G. you now have 2 wireless networks in your house. i have them named Devo N and Devo B/G (after my dog Devo) if you need help with this it is very easy and i could post instructions.

2. attach your hub to your USB port on your extreme router and plug your HDD into that and your all set. you can also use the other USB hub ports to a printer or another HDD etc...

3. thats it your wifi and hardwired mac will time machine to it and away you go and save some cash

Advantages

1. you saved a ton of cash :)

2. you can now easily grab your external HDD and take it on the road if the need should arise without losing your network.

3. the USB hub allows you to still have the ports available on your extreme.

thats it. just thought i would put this out there

enjoy

Reaction score
2 routers in 1 home

Hi Fletch,

before I start spilling out, wanted to check if you still visit and answer questions here, as your solution may solve a problem I have with time capsule not being able to recognize external HD as it is formated NTFS, which I need as NTFS for PC's running NTFS.

Please let me know if you could help. Thanks

OP
fletch33
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
i would recommend running MacDrive on your pc's and formatting the drive extended journaled. i have used this software many times and it works great. should solve your problem.

i didnt realize that NTFS wasn't supported since OS X can read it out of the box but i did a few searches and you are correct it will not work.

you could run FAT32 but then if you are like me you will have large files like movies above 4GB and FAT32 cant handle them which is a deal breaker.

Reaction score
wow, thanks for replying, sorry as I have only just found my post? thread? and I cannot tell until I find these if I got a reply, I wish there was a way to follow up your posts in one place.

You recommend running Macdrive etc, but how can that help if my pc has winxp ntfs files? Sorry am I being silly here, missing something?

Please any suggestions so that I can have a wireless NTFS external hardrive that can connect to TC would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.