Dock vs Hub

Reaction score
Hi all,
I recently purchased an iMac with 2 TB ports and 2 USB C ports. I had a cheap Hub with 4 ports that I used on my MBP because the USB A ports were too close together for me to plug 2 Thumb Drives or HDs in side by side. But, that Hub would not recognize 2 HD Drives and/or Thumb Drives at the same time, it would only recognize the first one plugged in, so I was doing a lot of swapping.
I want to purchase either a Hub or Dock, but don't know which to choose. My needs are to have multiple USB A ports, multiple USB C ports, an SD Card slot and a MicroSD Card slot. I have cables to charge my iPhone and iPad separately, but I guess it would be nice to have those in the Hub or Dock, but not a dealbreaker if not. I've watched a bunch of videos on Youtube, searched the Apple Forums and no help.
What would you suggest?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you just want to have multiple USB-A devices, then you can just go with a hub (ideally powered) that will give you more USB ports.

However, if you also want other types of connectors like SD/MicroSD and so on, you'll need to go with a dock that supports all of those additional ports.

Reaction score
...My needs are to have multiple USB A ports, multiple USB C ports, an SD Card slot and a MicroSD Card slot. ...

It's expensive, but here is what you want:

If you are willing to scale back your needs, this inexpensive hub might do the job:

Plugable USB-C Hub 7-in-1
$30
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BLXG7C1/?tag=macforums0e4-20

OP
G
Reaction score
It's expensive, but here is what you want:

If you are willing to scale back your needs, this inexpensive hub might do the job:

Plugable USB-C Hub 7-in-1
$30
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BLXG7C1/?tag=macforums0e4-20
Thanks for the help.

OP
G
Reaction score
If you just want to have multiple USB-A devices, then you can just go with a hub (ideally powered) that will give you more USB ports.

However, if you also want other types of connectors like SD/MicroSD and so on, you'll need to go with a dock that supports all of those additional ports.
Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Reaction score
OP
G
Reaction score

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.