• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Do your friends give you grief for switching to Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I can't believe how many times I've started writing a comment about this thread, and never actually finished it.

Here's my answer, which goes in line with a few other people:

At first, everyone gave me crap(around the time when the unibody aluminum MBP came out and became real popular). This was about the time when I was also building a few computers and setting up a few networks. Everyone gave me crap, but as the years went on, I turned into the guy my friends call if something goes wrong, and I fix their crap. And, while I get to see their new systems as their old ones crap out, they see my same stuff that keeps on going, and going, and going....and going...
Now they know better.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The bottom line is:

- no matter what product you own (computer, can-opener, remote control, etc.)
- no matter what sports team you cheer for
- no matter what clothing you wear
- no matter your favorite brand of beer
- no matter your preferred automobile manufacturer
- no matter your preferred religion
- no matter your choice in political candidates
- etc.

There will ALWAYS be a group of folks that will "disagree" with those choices...and there will ALWAYS be a smaller proportion of that group who will feel the uncontrollable urge/need to make fun or poke their finger at...other folks who don't 100% believe what they believe in.

The sooner folks ignore these folks...the sooner these small-minded folks will go their own way...and be left with their own tormented lives (which is probably why they're making fun of other folks in the first place)!!!

- Nick

OP
Lastmboy
Reaction score
... Everyone gave me crap, but as the years went on, I turned into the guy my friends call if something goes wrong, and I fix their crap. And, while I get to see their new systems as their old ones crap out, they see my same stuff that keeps on going, and going, and going....and going...
Now they know better.

I got rid of most of my Windows machines so I wasn't spending all my time fixing something. However, now I end up spending most of my time fixing other people's Windows PC's. Recently a friend's pc got so screwed up that he decided it wasn't worth fighting with and said he was getting a new one... asked me what he should get. Of course, I said a Mac. He bristled up and said there was no way he was paying $2,500 for a computer, and the new Mac Pro pricing will start around $12,000.

Soooo... he ends up selectively picking out parts for a new PC and has me build it for him, at a cost of well over $3,000. All sorts of problems from legacy device issues and conflicts, to Windows BSODS, hanging for 15 minutes, etc., etc. The usual. Had to install Windows 7 three times at about 2 hours per install before we could get it working properly. Finally got everything connected and working, and it takes approx. 8 minutes to boot up.

Meanwhile, I updated my Mac Pro to Mavericks in less than 15 minutes (including the re-boot). I even did the install on a separate blank SSD from scratch and had it transfer over all my apps, settings, etc. Still was less than 15 minutes in total. After a full two days of fighting with his fancy new pc, Apple announced the pricing on the new Mac Pro, starting at $3,000. He looked at me with sad eyes and chin hanging down and asked "Am I an idiot??". I just stayed silent, as I didn't think he would like my answer.

Oh... and of course I rubbed in the fact that Mavericks was free and I could install it on all my Macs. At the time, he was trying to use a magnifying glass to read the serial number on his $140 single use Windows 7 case. It's kind of fun tormenting the Windows PC guys.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Oh... and of course I rubbed in the fact that Mavericks was free and I could install it on all my Macs. At the time, he was trying to use a magnifying glass to read the serial number on his $140 single use Windows 7 case. It's kind of fun tormenting the Windows PC guys.

Well you do know...that this is exactly the sort of behavior that encourages the Windows folks to give us Mac-Users a hard time. No one likes to have their nose rubbed in anything.;)

If we throw rocks at them (Windows Users)...they're going to throw rocks back!;)

And if Windows users throw rocks first...I guess we Mac-Users just have to be the more mature ones...and keep our rocks in our pockets!:)

- Nick

OP
Lastmboy
Reaction score
Well you do know...that this is exactly the sort of behavior that encourages the Windows folks to give us Mac-Users a hard time. No one likes to have their nose rubbed in anything.;)

If we throw rocks at them (Windows Users)...they're going to throw rocks back!;)

And if Windows users throw rocks first...I guess we Mac-Users just have to be the more mature ones...and keep our rocks in our pockets!:)

- Nick

Ya, that's true. In this case, though, he has me over at his house fixing something on his pc every week. I'm trying to get him to buy a Mac so I can actually spend some time on my own ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
It is all about maturity of the people.
Personally, I couldn't care less if someone would cause me any grief on using OS X and I wouldn't even respond. There are more important things in life than a computer and an OS.

Meanwhile, I keep on enjoying OS X .... **** yeah. :)

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 800mhz 384mb SDRAM, OSX 10.4.11
Haha. Apples are great, but IMO there is nothing wrong with owning a stable windows machine. But as soon as Windows users began migrating over to Windows 8, most were left rummaging in their seats wondering "Where the **** is my start menu?". Yeah, there's nothing better than owning the latest hardware on your PC or Laptop and essentially getting stuck with something that's more of a Microsoft XBOX 360. Microsoft eased consumers tensions with the release of Windows 8.1, which included the return of the overly needed Start Button.

The best Windows user experience I have had was on my 2008 Macbook Pro. Windows 7 ran remarkably well on it. Logically, there shouldn't be a debate anymore on whether Mac or PC is better, considering Windows users can migrate to Mac and most PC manufactures systems that have comparable hardware quality and specifications to an Apple computer are just as costly, primarily citing Dells.

Ya, and aside of desktop owners! Who is running the show when it comes to the overly large laptop market? There is a certain level of elegance associated with owning a Mac, most developed people would come to think. And when you think of a system that is designed with with not only Beauty and also long lasting hardware components, but POWER (latest Intel processors, high frequency ram modules, ATIs or nVidias latest goods)- You get something beautiful that can actually sit on your desk for 10 years. Or resell it in 5 years for a high price! Apples are fabtastic. Apple haters need to expand their horizons.

Before I owned a Mac, I thought it was normal for computers to make thinking noises. lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Haha. Apples are great, but IMO there is nothing wrong with owning a stable windows machine. But as soon as Windows users began migrating over to Windows 8, most were left rummaging in their seats wondering "Where the **** is my start menu?". Yeah, there's nothing better than owning the latest hardware on your PC or Laptop and essentially getting stuck with something that's more of a Microsoft XBOX 360. Microsoft eased consumers tensions with the release of Windows 8.1, which included the return of the overly needed Start Button.

The best Windows user experience I have had was on my 2008 Macbook Pro. Windows 7 ran remarkably well on it. Logically, there shouldn't be a debate anymore on whether Mac or PC is better, considering Windows users can migrate to Mac and most PC manufactures systems that have comparable hardware quality and specifications to an Apple computer are just as costly, primarily citing Dells.

Ya, and aside of desktop owners! Who is running the show when it comes to the overly large laptop market? There is a certain level of elegance associated with owning a Mac, most developed people would come to think. And when you think of a system that is designed with with not only Beauty and also long lasting hardware components, but POWER (latest Intel processors, high frequency ram modules, ATIs or nVidias latest goods)- You get something beautiful that can actually sit on your desk for 10 years. Or resell it in 5 years for a high price! Apples are fabtastic. Apple haters need to expand their horizons.

Before I owned a Mac, I thought it was normal for computers to make thinking noises. lol

Sorry, but the start button, as everyone knew it, never "returned."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
No, but to be honest of ALL my family, friends and co-workers I'm one of a few that own a MAC. So the topic doesn't come up. It's not like I hang out at the water cooler and troll for responses. I can't believe folks care what other's think about their choice of computers, shoes or Blu-Ray players. And for the record I love Kraft Macaroni and Cheese

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Haha. Apples are great, but IMO there is nothing wrong with owning a stable windows machine. ..... Microsoft eased consumers tensions with the release of Windows 8.1, which included the return of the overly needed Start Button.

I would love to have a "stable" Windows machine.... problem is the only way to keep a stable Windows machine is to never go on the internet to websites or to get email (viruses). And never download a bad hardware or software update that - whoops - wreaks your stable Windows machine.

As to the WIndows 8.1 inept start button.... well it simply sends you back to the tiles where you can scroll through the large cumbersome mess to find your program which may then send you back to the desktop to run the program. Needless to say I am not a fan.

I was a card carrying Apple basher for ... well since 1980 when I got into computers. Earlier Apple computers were slow, expensive to buy and expensive to repair. I didn't become interested in Apple until they switched to Intel processors which I find way more desirable to the Motorola processors they used prior to 2003. But cost was and still is a factor.

Unfortunately, or fortunately - depending on how you look at it, Windows laptop manufacturers quit including firewire ports and that is a deal breaker for me. MBP have the thunderbolt port which Premiere Pro accepts for a video capture port and I need that.

So I took the plunge and bought my first ever mac and found out what I was missing. Now everyone I run into is sick of me singing it's praises. What I love the most? Lack of malware attacks. I do run Sophos Antivirus and do a full scan about once a month because I am a long standing Windows user and I work as an IT with lots of Windows machines. Paranoid... Yes! (I have found 2 virus in email attachments that I had trashed unopened but I am sure they were written for Windows OS.) But if I had the budget I would replace all our PC's at work with Macs. I have even gone so far as to check on what software issues we would have and what we would need to replace. I see it as doable...just need to convince them to spring for the $$$$.

Anyway, just my 2 cents..

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MacBook Air (13") w/ max specs
Switching from PC to Mac is akin to converting from Christianity to Judaism (at least, in terms of other people's reactions). Common reactions include:-

- incredulity – "Why? What's wrong with a PC?"
- skepticism – "Ehh, you'll be back."
- hostility – "You just want attention. You're trying to be difficult."
- proselytizing – "You really should come with me to BestBuy and check out the latest Windows laptops."
- prophesying – "Don't you realize that Macs are on the way out and PCs are on the way back in?"

Thus, have I borne it with a patient shrug, for suff'rance is the badge of all our Tribe... ;-)

Reaction score
Every Thursday at work I spend half an hour to 45 minutes twiddling my thumbs, filling water bottles and checking Facebook on my iPad while my Windows workstation does security updates before I can start my workday. Multiply that by the number of employees (thousands). Then after work I get home to my trusty iMac that just sits there, ready to go to work. No switcher regrets here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I believe people pick a side, and in some cases, come up with extreme justifications for the decision they made. It shouldn't really come to that. Reasons should be simple in my opinion. Ever single person I have ever known in my life has eventually understood my "reason for switching," through their own experiences in the long run. Most people pick a side, and never really venture to the other side enough to actually understand how to use it. Of course, this move on their part plants a bad seed, and is one that never actually matures unless they actually experience or take two minutes to realize what it is that they are doing. This case can be made for everything under the sun, and is probably one of the most heated topics when t comes to computers.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again, from my experience, which includes owning more than 5 Macs(5 currently), there is one reason that I always find comfort in with Apple computers: consistency.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.