Do Linksys routers work with Macs?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Broadcast your SSID - go on you know you want to.

Yeah, I'm doing my best to avoid showing up on wifimaps.com, but thanks for the suggestion :D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SNIP

EDIT: Oddly enough, after writing this thread, I decided to adjust my antennas a bit and adjust the channel - and sure enough, I'm seeing better signal outside, on my deck. Maybe I will hold off on that router upgrade for a bit. I've been considering the optional high-gain antennas, maybe that will be my next step.

Update: Today while I was running errands over my lunch break, I stopped in at Costco and saw a sweet deal on a D-Link Pre-N router with Rangebooster. It was $75, and I priced high-gain antennas for my existing WRT54GS for about $50. So, I figured I'd give it a shot.

Well, big mistake - first off, I had to move my cable modem out of my basement and back upstairs next to the router in order to get it to see the presence of my modem. Then, come to find out, the D-Link had crappier antennas than the Linksys. So, in effect, it's range was shorter than the existing WRT54G. Guess what's going RIGHT back to Costco tomorrow! D-Link's "rangebooster" is complete BUNK IMO.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update: Today while I was running errands over my lunch break, I stopped in at Costco and saw a sweet deal on a D-Link Pre-N router with Rangebooster. It was $75, and I priced high-gain antennas for my existing WRT54GS for about $50. So, I figured I'd give it a shot.

Well, big mistake - first off, I had to move my cable modem out of my basement and back upstairs next to the router in order to get it to see the presence of my modem. Then, come to find out, the D-Link had crappier antennas than the Linksys. So, in effect, it's range was shorter than the existing WRT54G. Guess what's going RIGHT back to Costco tomorrow! D-Link's "rangebooster" is complete BUNK IMO.

Another update for those interested. I did return the D-Link router and picked up the high gain antennas for my WRT54G and viola, everything works great. My signal strength on my back deck reads a consistent two bars (every once in awhile, I guess depending on atmospheric conditions, I'll actuall see three) and I see good overall bandwidth with a wireless bandwidth widget I installed. So, if you're experiencing random disconnects (as I did) with a WRT54G, consider the high gain antennas. They do indeed extend the range!

Reaction score
Well mine doesn't.

what db said...

i've got a WRT54G and a macbook and comcast high speed.

works super well.

I'm not sure why, but for some reason some WRT54G's don't like Macs. I just got a MacBook and it won't connect wirelessly or wired. I got it as a replacement for my now destroyed Dell laptop which worked GREAT with the router. But for some reason neither my MacBook, nor my old iMac, nor my uncle's new iMac can connect to it. I've tried changing the security, I've tried changing SOOOOO much of it, yet it still doesn't work. If I can't get it working tomorrow, I'm going to go get a new router. I'd hate to but I can't stand sitting here at a desk with my laptop hooked up to the comcast cable modem by a 3 foot ethernet cord. it drives me crazy. PLEASE IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO FIX THIS, EMAIL ME SOON! I don't want to spend money on a new router. Email me: [email protected]

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure why, but for some reason some WRT54G's don't like Macs. I just got a MacBook and it won't connect wirelessly or wired. I got it as a replacement for my now destroyed Dell laptop which worked GREAT with the router. But for some reason neither my MacBook, nor my old iMac, nor my uncle's new iMac can connect to it. I've tried changing the security, I've tried changing SOOOOO much of it, yet it still doesn't work. If I can't get it working tomorrow, I'm going to go get a new router. I'd hate to but I can't stand sitting here at a desk with my laptop hooked up to the comcast cable modem by a 3 foot ethernet cord. it drives me crazy. PLEASE IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO FIX THIS, EMAIL ME SOON! I don't want to spend money on a new router. Email me: [email protected]

Although I posted problems earlier in this thread, I was eventually able to get them worked out. Here's a few things to try:

1. Get the latest firmware for your WRT54G and upload it to your router.
2. If it's disabled, turn on SSID broadcast.
3. If you're using WEP, switch to WPA for security.

Doing those three things should take care of your issues. Good luck.

Reaction score
Although I posted problems earlier in this thread, I was eventually able to get them worked out. Here's a few things to try:

1. Get the latest firmware for your WRT54G and upload it to your router.
2. If it's disabled, turn on SSID broadcast.
3. If you're using WEP, switch to WPA for security.

Doing those three things should take care of your issues. Good luck.

well... my SSID broadcast was already turned on and I already swiched to WPA. Where do I get the latest firmware? and how do I upload it to my router?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well... my SSID broadcast was already turned on and I already swiched to WPA. Where do I get the latest firmware? and how do I upload it to my router?

It depends on what specific model that is (there are several variations of the WRT54G, it should say on the bottom of the unit "WRT54GL version 1.1" or something to that effect. Can you check it and get back to me?

Reaction score
It depends on what specific model that is (there are several variations of the WRT54G, it should say on the bottom of the unit "WRT54GL version 1.1" or something to that effect. Can you check it and get back to me?

well... um.... I'm not sure how, but I just connected to the router and am online!

I don't know what happened but I'm very very happy. Now I don't have to go spend my money on a new router.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
My Linksys WAG54G works brilliantly with my MacBook

Reaction score
My Linksys WAG54G works brilliantly with my MacBook

there's something weird with some WRT54Gs. Mine just randomly started working yesterday right before I went to get a new one. WRT54Gs are strange.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.