Dispelling the Myths.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
macanal, the reason Apple has mostly fixed hardware is because they sell their systems as just that: full systems. Apple does the work of assembly and such FOR YOU. The machines are designed to be complete when you open them, aside from RAM upgrades and the like. They are also designed to last a long time and not have hardware, firmware, and driver conflicts. Apple can specifically test all of the proprietary parts it puts into its computers so its end users don't have to, for the purpose of a contiguous whole. The OS is designed as a contiguous whole. Its peripherals, even down to the telephone wire for the 56k modems, are designed to LOOK like a contiguous whole. It's part of what Apple is. The farther we move away from it, the farther we move away from Apple's traditional way of doing things. And last I checked, Apple's traditional way of doing things has been working well for end users since pretty much day one.

On this whole market share thing, you know what has NEVER fully made sense to me? Why people insist upon making it Apple vs. all PCs, rather than Apple vs. Dell, or Apple vs. Gateway. Simply because it uses different hardware and a different OS does not mean one computer manufacturer should be considered a competitor for 20 others as a whole, rather than 20 others individually.

Reaction score
muso said:
macanal, can you please just think through a bit more carefully what you're trying to say before going ahead and posting a big long rant? Two reasons for this: 1 - your post has come out barely intelligible and hard to make any sense of. 2 - you're on the verge of insulting an admin. Bad move, if you ask me...

What are you banging on about?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.