Disk not ejected properly on awakening from sleep!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I have no idea where it should go, but

Each time our iMac M1 running OS 13..6.3 is awakened from sleep I have just started to get a whole raft of 'Disk not ejected properly' messages, 15 on this particular awakening. There are 3 external discs, 2 Crucial 1Tb SSDs and a 1Tb spinny HDD. So far I've only seen the Crucial SSDs come uo as not ejected properly.

Any ideas please as this is going to drive me further up the wall. There's 15 on the screen shot below.

Screenshot 2024-02-12 at 10.49.24.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Don't let the CPU sleep. If it stays awake, it will stay connected to the external drives.

Also, don't let the drives sleep or go into "energy saving" mode. Particularly rotating drives. When the CPU checks on the health of the drive, if it's stopped spinning it has to spin up before it responds. That delay causes the CPU to think the drive went away, triggering the error.

Settings>Energy (or maybe Power, I don't have an iMac. On my MBP it's under Battery), then click on "Options" and "Prevent automatic sleeping wen the display is offf" should be ON.

Same place, "Put Hard Disks to sleep when possible" should be "Never."

That should fix it.

BTW, in Settings, you can search for "sleep" and get a direct link to the setting location.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
Yep, exactly the same issue and a thread all about it:

external-drive-not-ejected-properly.377311

I eventually came to the conclusion it is connected to using USB-C/TB connected hub, my Seagate (as an example) has been connected not via a USB A hub for some months without the issue, but when I used a Apple VGA adaptor with USB-C, got it all the time, tried all the various setting as suggested (see thread) an NONE sorted it. However when I bought a hub connected via USB-C, all the drives connected to it (including SD cards) had the same error.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I put the disks to not go sleepy and switched off Wake for network access as below, but there's no option for the CPU as you can see. It still comes up with the messages even if it's only in sleep for a few minutes.

Tryping in 'sleep' highlights the Desktop and dock and does nowt to do with the CPU at all from what I can see?

The hub they are connected to is a Sitecom 4 USB C port hub which is plugged into one of the USB ports in the back of the iMac.It was bought in Dec 2021 and hasn't caused any problems until now.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07YN54Q33/

I still can't understand why it hasn't effected the spinny disk, only the SSDs I take it that on your thread link that the EHD was a spinny disk not an SSD Jimmy?

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I put the disks to not go sleepy and switched off Wake for network access as below, but there's no option for the CPU as you can see.

Tryping in 'sleep' highlights the Desktop and dock and does nowt to do with the CPU at all from what I can see?

The hub they are connected to is a Sitecom 4 USB C port hub which is plugged into one of the USB ports in the back of the iMac. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07YN54Q33/

I still can't understand why it hasn't effected the spinny dish, only the SSDs

I have just moved on to OS 13.6.4 so I'll see what happens now?

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I put it to sleep about ¾ hour ago and just wound it up again. No disk not ejected warnings this time, so ?? :cautious::cautious: here's hoping.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
You said twice "as you can see," but there wasn't anything in the post to "see."

On the iMac, it may be under "Energy Savings" in Settings. Here is a screenshot of a Mini:

Screenshot 2024-02-12 at 5.18.06 PM.png

It doesn't refer to CPU, but that's what it does. The display goes dark, the CPU is running, not sleeping.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, it looks as if the update may well have sorted my problem as there still aren't any disk ejection warnings. A bit drastic, but it has cured that problem.

Once again folks, thank you all for taking the time to give me your ideas. It really is very much appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, it looks as if the update may well have sorted my problem as there still aren't any disk ejection warnings. A bit drastic, but it has cured that problem.

Once again folks, thank you all for taking the time to give me your ideas. It really is very much appreciated!
I will have to try my USB-C adaptor with my SSD and see what happens.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@Jonzjob

In your Post #5 you said:

and switched off Wake for network access

This feature should be switched ON. As in Jake's Post #7.

Glad it seems to be "all systems go" for you. long may it last :) ;)

Ian

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now switched back on Ian, ta.

I would have said 'Long may it rein'. Not rain, we got enough of that:eek:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My external SSD has been plugged in to my USB-C adaptor for 24 hours (after reading this thread), and has been through the normal cycle, with the settings untouched, and no "Disk Not Ejected Properly" notifications, previously I would have had at least 4, sometime more. Later today I will be trying my hub (with internally fitted SSD) again, this often with give double figure error notices overnight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I connected the hub with an internal SSD and a SD card, previously I would have lots of eject errors for both (thought both would show as mounted), the SSD no errors, the SD card a single eject error, but the card was unmounted, so may be a genuine error as it may have come loose. Overall, very pleased with the update as it has solved an issue for me.

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I have no idea where it should go, but

Each time our iMac M1 running OS 13..6.3 is awakened from sleep I have just started to get a whole raft of 'Disk not ejected properly' messages, 15 on this particular awakening. There are 3 external discs, 2 Crucial 1Tb SSDs and a 1Tb spinny HDD. So far I've only seen the Crucial SSDs come uo as not ejected properly.

Any ideas please as this is going to drive me further up the wall. There's 15 on the screen shot below.

View attachment 39254
Don't worry, you've come to the right place! 😄

First, lets resolve this annoying popups, it can be resolved simply by rebooting the mac and connecting the External drives again.

Now, lets let to the main issue.

Here are some things you can try to troubleshoot the issue:
1. Verify the disks are actually ejected properly:
  • Check if the Crucial SSDs are physically unplugged from the Mac after being used. Sometimes, the system might think they're still connected even if they're not.
  • Double-click on the disk icons on your desktop and confirm they're unmounted before physically disconnecting them.
2. Address connection issues:
  • If you're using a USB hub, try connecting the disks directly to the Mac instead.
  • Ensure the USB cables you're using are in good condition and securely plugged in at both ends.
3. Resolve software conflicts:
  • Make sure your Mac is updated to the latest macOS version available (currently 13.2.1). Software updates often include bug fixes and compatibility improvements.
  • Run First Aid on the affected SSDs using Disk Utility to check for and repair any potential file system errors.
  • Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) and Non-Volatile Random-Access Memory (NVRAM) on your Mac. These resets can sometimes fix unexpected system behavior. You can find instructions on how to do this online specific to your iMac model.
  • Check if any third-party apps you have installed might be interfering with the disk management system. Try temporarily disabling them to see if it resolves the issue.
4. Consider hardware issues:
  • If the problem persists after trying all the above steps, it's possible that one of the SSDs might be malfunctioning. Try connecting each SSD individually to your Mac to see if one is consistently causing the issue.
  • If you suspect a hardware problem, contact Crucial support for further assistance. They can offer diagnostics and warranty options.
Additional tips:
  • Some users have reported success with unchecking the "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" option in Energy Saver settings. This might prevent the Mac from prematurely disconnecting the disks during sleep.
  • If you're using Time Machine with one of the SSDs, try excluding it from automatic backups or temporarily disabling Time Machine to see if that makes a difference.
Also, make sure to check if you had face any data loss. Remember, persistence is key! Try these steps systematically.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

First, lets resolve this annoying popups, it can be resolved simply by rebooting the mac and connecting the External drives again.

• Check if the Crucial SSDs are physically unplugged from the Mac after being used. Sometimes, the system might think they're still connected even if they're not.
  • Double-click on the disk icons on your desktop and confirm they're unmounted before physically disconnecting them.
  • If you're using a USB hub, try connecting the disks directly to the Mac instead.
  • Ensure the USB cables you're using are in good condition and securely plugged in at both ends.
  • Make sure your Mac is updated to the latest macOS version available (currently 13.2.1). Software updates often include bug fixes and compatibility improvements.
  • Run First Aid on the affected SSDs using Disk Utility to check for and repair any potential file system errors.
  • Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) and Non-Volatile Random-Access Memory (NVRAM) on your Mac. These resets can sometimes fix unexpected system behavior. You can find instructions on how to do this online specific to your iMac model.
  • Check if any third-party apps you have installed might be interfering with the disk management system. Try temporarily disabling them to see if it resolves the issue.
  • If the problem persists after trying all the above steps, it's possible that one of the SSDs might be malfunctioning. Try connecting each SSD individually to your Mac to see if one is consistently causing the issue.
  • If you suspect a hardware problem, contact Crucial support for further assistance. They can offer diagnostics and warranty options.
Additional tips:
  • Some users have reported success with unchecking the "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" option in Energy Saver settings. This might prevent the Mac from prematurely disconnecting the disks during sleep.
  • If you're using Time Machine with one of the SSDs, try excluding it from automatic backups or temporarily disabling Time Machine to see if that makes a difference.
Also, make sure to check if you had face any data loss. Remember, persistence is key! Try these steps systematically.
The issue (for me) seemed to be caused by the USB-C (TB) as the input, with a USB-A adaptor to the SSD, the latest OS update has now rectified this. Having carried out all the checks you mention above before the update, nothing fixed the problem for over 12 months, I know I tried.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Additional tips:

Thank you for the comprehensive reply Olivia.

1. The SSDs were still connected and available after they were so called ejected, multiple times.

2. I didn't try the direct connection, but the USB cables are pretty new and properly connected. That was the first thing I checked.

3. Same here as Jimmy. I upped to the latest update and the problem dissapeared, so it seemed to have been some kind of bug. So I didn't go any further working on the old principle "if it isn't broken then don't fix it"

Thank you for the explanation again. I'm sure that it will really help folks when it appears yet again

Reaction score
Thank you for the comprehensive reply Olivia.

1. The SSDs were still connected and available after they were so called ejected, multiple times.

2. I didn't try the direct connection, but the USB cables are pretty new and properly connected. That was the first thing I checked.

3. Same here as Jimmy. I upped to the latest update and the problem dissapeared, so it seemed to have been some kind of bug. So I didn't go any further working on the old principle "if it isn't broken then don't fix it"

Thank you for the explanation again. I'm sure that it will really help folks when it appears yet again
Hi @Jonzjob
I am glad its okay now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.