Disgusted with the MBP audio quality

Reaction score
Argggg, this is so frustrating. I am going to take this stupid mbp in after it already replacing my last one which made clicking noises on the right side. Whenever I play music or have recently played music while using headphones there is a static buzzing type sound that is quietly in the background. I compared it with my ipod and it's awful... honestly $2500 for this!?

Dude, chill. This happens to a lot of laptops and even high end ones. Apple may be trying to fix this but it may cost them more space or money to change this. I've heard that on almost every laptop I've used. I'm no sound buff and I couldn't care less about actual surround sound in a laptop but it's probably not as such a big deal as you're making it out to be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Dude, chill. This happens to a lot of laptops and even high end ones. Apple may be trying to fix this but it may cost them more space or money to change this. I've heard that on almost every laptop I've used. I'm no sound buff and I couldn't care less about actual surround sound in a laptop but it's probably not as such a big deal as you're making it out to be.

Pardon me for asking but, who are you to tell someone else that it shouldn't be a big deal to them ? Despite how much money we paid for our MBP's, the issue boils down to expectations in relation to what we've been sold marketing wise. The MBP is supposed to be a high end laptop, and so naturally we don't expect such a simple thing as clean audio output to be over looked so carelessly.

I love music, and have a rather large Mp3, Ogg, FLAC collection which at times I like to stream from my MBP to either the AUX in of my receiver, or from the USB port to the receiver's, and out through my nice speakers. I've personally heard some static before when playing music, as well as when using Garage Band, in to the receiver, but contributed it to one of the cables I used to hook it up. It was one of the most annoying things to me, and the fact that (as the OP stated) I paid so much for it, really got my goat. I can not blame him one bit.

Yes, high end products need servicing, they fail, and are at times faulty. But for Apple to not acknowledge the issue or try and resolve it, seems irresponsible. I'm not saying they won't, in time.. but don't try and be Apple's little PR lackey and speak for those of us who disagree with you, at the same time.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yes, high end products need servicing, they fail, and are at times faulty. But for Apple to not acknowledge the issue or try and resolve it, seems irresponsible. I'm not saying they won't, in time.. but don't try and be Apple's little PR lackey and speak for those of us who disagree with you, at the same time.

Agreed. I may be completely off-base in this comment, but I suspect it has something to do with the hard drive, just based on my own observations on when the noises occur and also my experience with Fujitsu hard drives. Would you be so kind as to open Apple menu => About This Mac => More Info => Serial ATA? Let me know what brand of hard drive is installed (it should have the brand and model right there):

2008-10-28_2050.png

Reaction score
Chink in your theory its a specific brand of hd at least. Mine is a Hitachi brand and the signal out is not pristine. Mine doesn't sound as dramatic as the OP though. You could be onto something that the hd (any of them) in such a close proximity cause interference.
If your waiting for a fix I think it will be a very long time because going all the way back to my PPC mbp the audio out hasn't been great. I don't think its much of a priority for apple. Perhaps the optical out is much cleaner, never tried it so I cannot comment on it.

What brand/model headphones are you using with your mbp?
And I am not trying to be difficult but when you say you hear noise what exactly are you hearing? Just background static or actual random tones, etc?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Problem solved for me. Just changed out my Fujitsu hard drive with a Seagate and the noises are COMPLETELY GONE. As I suspected, the Fujitsu hard drives have long been known for bleeding noise on laptops.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Problem solved for me. Just changed out my Fujitsu hard drive with a Seagate and the noises are COMPLETELY GONE. As I suspected, the Fujitsu hard drives have long been known for bleeding noise on laptops.

CWA, very interesting indeed! Thanks for the report. I have also noticed those noises with some PC laptops. Will have to check the drive and see what brand it is.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
CWA, very interesting indeed! Thanks for the report. I have also noticed those noises with some PC laptops. Will have to check the drive and see what brand it is.

There's not even a doubt in my mind that it was that hard drive. All of the weird reverberation I heard on low-frequency sounds and the clicks, shrieks and pops while changing from track-to-track in iTunes are gone, as are the weird assorted noises that would be very evident at quiet moments in certain songs.

I hope Apple notes this and stops using Fujitsu as an OEM.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yeah, but if Apple did that, Fujitsu wouldn't be able to get triple the amount a Seagate or WD drive costs from the unsuspecting looking for a replacement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Did you get a good deal on the Seagate ? If you wouldn't mind, could you post a link to where you got it ? Thanks.

Doug

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Not sure where cwa got his. Newegg is always a good source here in the US. Their service is about as good as an online seller gets.

Here's the listing for all the current 320GB 7200RPM drives.

I went with the WD and can recommend it also. Virtually silent in my MBP. My Leopard boot time dropped from over 45 seconds to 21 seconds just switching from the factory drive.

cwa went with the Seagate (wasn't available when I got mine) because of the 5 yr vs 3 yr warranty. I think either of these are going to be a nice drive. It's been a while back, according to my failing memory, most of the reviews rated the Hitachi a little faster. Don't recall any comments about sound on it though.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I normally would have gotten it from NewEgg, but they didn't have the version of this drive with shock protection, so I ended up getting this from mwave.com. It was $100.22 shipped. NewEgg has the other version for $89 and free shipping.

Although I couldn't find a performance comparison with this particular model, it's brother without the shock protection scored the highest amongst all of the other 320GB drives.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After spending some quality time with the headphones attached, I can tell you this is the best $100 I've spent on my MacBook Pro yet. There's not even so much as a modicum of distortion now. It's absolutely wonderful.

Sorry to revive this thread once again, but I just wanted to share how pleased I am with this upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
early 2008 Blackbook 2.4 ghz
the sound popping is the sound card turning itself on and off, and on and off. I, myself, think it is weak of Apple to not fix this issue. I think it is also weak that there are so may "Apple apologists" who do not offer up any help, or truthful observations about anything that makes Apple look a bit rotten.

There are a few different apps to stop this popping, I am quite content using "keepsoundawake" (Google it). It is a PPC app, but it uses almost zero system resources and works perfectly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.