Digital Camera Options for student

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Tel said:
L lenses are hardly going to be cheap to anyone. It really depends what you're going to be using the camera for but you'll definalty want to get a 50mm f/2.8 which is a very cheap and very sharp prime.

Oh yea I know I wasn't trying to imply that. I am just saying cheap is a very broad term especially when it comes to camera lenses

OP
S

sursuciofla

trpnmonkey41 said:
Oh yea I know I wasn't trying to imply that. I am just saying cheap is a very broad term especially when it comes to camera lenses

Yeah what cheap means to me is less than $200 per lens. Maybe $250 but when it gets to the $300+ range is when my head will explode. I just can't do that $400 a pop thing right now.

I got these two Sigma lenses to start with though whenever they get here plus that 50mm one I mentioned:

Sigma 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 DC Lens for Canon Digi $119
Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DL Macro Super II Autof $139

Very cheap but I imagine they will do. I have similar already for my Sigma SA-7 but of course they only fit that one. I have made good B&W prints with that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Yea I know what you mean. I got lucky with my Rebel because my dad upgraded his lenses on his 20D and gave me some of his old lenses, which allowed me to save up more for one excellent lense

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
I have a 1D mk II, but also the 20D, and they are awesome, just make sure you get a decent lense!

OP
T

Tel

Well, now I've payed off my 300D I'm in the market for some lenses. I'll definatly be getting a 50mm 1.8 (thats what I meant earlier instead of 2.8) but thats when the choices get difficult. I think I'm just going to save a little longer and start getting some really decent lenses. While L lenses aren't cheap, the 70-200mm f/4L is the cheapest at around $500 and it is very highly regarded for its sharpness etc. Followed by a 24-70mm f/2.8 L for about $1,100 to replace my 18-55mm kit lens as a walk around lens. Then finally a EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 to give me a decent wide angle for about $700.

It'll take a lot longer to build my collection but it will be well worth it in the end I think.

OP
S

sursuciofla

WOOHOO!!!!!! Finally got my lenses from UPS about 30 minutes ago. Just opening up everything now. I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited. IT'S ON!!!!!! I'll keep ya updated on how I like this stuff one day in the near future. I know I said this already but IT'S ON!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, 17.in screen. 1.8GHz, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.
Fujifilm FinePix F610

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.