Digital Camera help???

Reaction score
I am a big Canon fan. I started on a 10D (two-generation ancestor of the 30D) then moved up to a D1 MkII N. Just bought my wife an XTi and will replace the D1 with a D1 MkIII when that comes out later this year.

The D30 is a high level consumer camera. It will do just about everything you could ever want. For the price jump you'd make going to a 5D, you could buy a lot of really excellent glass.

The kit lens (18-55) is ok but nothing spectacular. It will get you started. The 75-300, as MHC said, is junky. It will let you take snapshots at long range but it will never be suitable for anything more than that.

I think the 28-135 IS USM is a great lens. It has some macro functionality and a great focal length range. It's not terribly fast (capturing sports, etc. is going to require strong sunlight) but I've had a couple of pictures published using that old 10D and my 28-135. They go for around $400.

For portraiture, I'd throw in a 50/1.8 for $70.

Another glaring issue is the media cards. Those cards are going to be pretty slow, which means you won't be able to take a lot of action shots in one "burst." The cost of media is so low now you can get a SanDisk Extreme III 4G card (which is very fast and will hold about a thousand 30D pictures) for $150.

Finally, I'd take a long hard look at the XTi before spending money for the 30D. Each has its advantages but the XTi is a lot less expensive. For what you'd save buying the XTi, you could get a good memory card and some good glass and still come out below the price you were quoted above.'

Best advice is to hit a camera store and try a bunch of stuff out. See what fits your hand best, compare weight and features and which one has the interface that works best for you.

M

MacHeadCase

I got the 70-300 IS in replacement of that horrible glass and it's much more decent. Not by any means a series L lens but at least you can look at most shots at 100% without cringing too much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Another glaring issue is the media cards. Those cards are going to be pretty slow, which means you won't be able to take a lot of action shots in one "burst." The cost of media is so low now you can get a SanDisk Extreme III 4G card (which is very fast and will hold about a thousand 30D pictures) for $150.

A great resource for comparing which speed CF or other media card you should buy is Here. It will tell you what kind of write speed you will obtain from most brands and versions of CF and SD cards in different camera bodies. So just go there and select your camera body from the dropdown list.

For some cameras it does not good to buy the Extreme III, you get no better write time than other card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Thanks Moss.

Oh, with the 30D..it does matter but after going and checking it out figured I would post the site. Some people buy cards with abilities much higher than their camera's will take advantage of which is simply wasting money.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.